Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has moved from piano to trumpet and now is interested in sax. I'm not really sure if I can keep up with his musical interests at this current pace! My mom knows a family friend who has a sax for sale that was given to him by his grandfather. Not knowing anything about these, I'm a bit on the green side and wonder if anyone could give an opinion?

The sax is a KING Super 20 Silver Sonic I believe and her next door neighbor, who does play, took a look at it and said "it's a really good sax but old" (whatever that really means, I don't know). The horn in currently in California and my son is there for the summer while I'm here in Michigan. Is there a place I can take it and have it evaluated before we make a decision on purchasing it? They're just looking to clear house right now as their grandfather has since past.

Should I even try getting involved with this type of horn for a beginner? My concern here is that the horn could be had for a minimal investment to get his feet wet.

Thanks
-b

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

How much does he want for it? I might have to add more :shock: emotitions.

·
5,472 Posts
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hey, this is a good way to get my post count up.

·
5,472 Posts
CountSpatula said:
:shock:

Anyone gonna answer yet?
Oh yes. You should buy this sax anyway. Even if your son doesn't decide to stick with it. But if your neighbor's offering too much that you don't want to spend, you can always get a YAS 23. Then a parent whose son/daughter wanders to another instrument won't feel a hole in their pocket.

And then if you decline the offer, one of us can get it.:D

*edit* I forgot to add a :shock:.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
But it could get expensive if it has a lot of problems with it...maybe you can see if you can take it to a tech and get it looked over just to see if anythings wrong with it...if not Jump On It! :D

:shock:

·
Registered
647 Posts
b00dah
In case you haven't guessed what all these emoticons mean yet, the KING Super 20 Silver Sonic is a sought after horn (at least for some members of the sax community).
I would suggest you get someone who knows about saxes (whom you can trust) to give you an opinion on this horn and what it's really worth.
Or you can forget about the Silver Sonic and get a relatively cheap but decent quality beginner's horn for your son. The YAS has been mentioned but there are also Jupiters and other brands out there.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The sax you mentioned, as has been hinted at above, is a very sought after model by collectors and gigging saxophonists alike. They are incredible horns, and worth the effort to fix up. That is a horn that will only go up in value.

You know your son, and if you feel he could handle such a possession. It might be a good idea to get that horn, keep it in a closet for a few years, buy a used Yamaha, and then if he truly shows to be serious about it, turn him loose on the Super20.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I caused a bit of a stir with my new post. Well, considering that I can't "see" this horn... would the normal protocol be to take it to a local shop for an evaluation or not? If it's playable and in decent condition then I'll see what they are willng to take for it.

Now... from all the :shock: I'm seeing here, it could be more than I bargained for. I'll look at some of the links you sent me and see what the story is.

Thanks,
b00dah

·
Registered
647 Posts
rs1sensen said:
saxmusiclover, you beat me to it!
It's my lucky day!!!:D :D

1 - 20 of 78 Posts