Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
C-Melody
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Buescher late 1923 (148xxx). The pads appear to be the originals, it has the snaps (except on two palm keys and the octave), and the pads are free - not glued in. Those two palm keys do have glue pads. The odd thing is, though, the palm keys in 1923 should also have regulator posts, but these don't. They are the later style, and there is no evidence that posts were removed to change them (nor is there an FR stamp anywhere). Otherwise it is a standard '23. The horn sounds great as far as it can on the white pads (which are surprisingly soft and intact) and my Holton mouthpiece. It needs TLC, but I got it to work on repair skills once my time frees up in January.

So now I have a pair of C-mels. :)

I'm probably going to spring for one of the Faxx or Faxx clone mps for now, although I may get an original issue Buescher if I run across a reasonable one. The Holton works so well with its factory original, I would like to see how the Buescher pair-up is. When I can play better, I'll look at a vintage Goldbeck (Like Frank & Rudy played) and the Morgan that's getting all the raves these days.

(edit for clarity and added the other mpc options.)

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
I've got two Conn C-Melody carcasses and a 297XXX TH&C alto that need new pads and several Norton springs. It will be my winter project as well. Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,493 Posts
. It needs TLC, but I got it to work on repair skills once my time frees up in January.
So now I have a pair of C-Mel’s
Take tons of pictures before disassembling and during disassembling. Small details like the mystery piece of cork laying on the workbench. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of proper screwdrivers. Screwdrivers with the incorrect tip size or ones that are too short are prone to breaking the head off of hing rods. I had one in the bin long before I ever touched this one.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?352138-Rudy-Wiedoeft-alto-1930-cleaning-pictures

I have no issues being in the doghouse for buying a sax.
Take it in with you, no one will bother you!
What # is that lol

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?354300-Do-you-have-a-project-Sax-why-or-why-not

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
Congrats, Keshr! Bueschers are great horns. The snap pads should take a little of the pain out of DIY; you can order pads from MusicMedic that have been custom-punched for snap-in resos. Just remember to take it slow and consult the repair section here for advice if you need it; there's a lot of great information to be had.

I'd definitely recommend getting a Buescher piece at some point; it will really bring out the original sound of the horn. Good luck finding a Goldbeck C-mel piece, though; I've been hunting around for one myself, but they seldom show up and when they do they're never cheap. I occasionally use my Goldbeck alto piece on my C-mels and have liked the results, but I'd imagine a real C-mel piece would sound much better.

·
Registered
C-Melody
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did! I already have things like the spring tools and good screwdrivers (Chapman, etc) from clarinets and sewing machine repair. Also have a nice work surfaces with carpet and electricians rubber covers, lots of light, and plenty of patience! I already learned that worst of the worst lesson on an old Jean-Somebody-or-other-A-Paireee cracked clarinet from the thrift store (complete with moldy case, no mouthpiece, and 20+ dead reeds). Once I realized how bad the crack was, I used it to practice stuff on so I didn't ruin anything else.

The Buescher is actually pretty good, though not a 10 or anything - a good 7.5 I'd say. The case is clean and solid, no eau-de-basement smell or anything - that's a big plus! I think it probably was used for a short while then put away.

·
Registered
C-Melody
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats, Keshr! Bueschers are great horns. The snap pads should take a little of the pain out of DIY; you can order pads from MusicMedic that have been custom-punched for snap-in resos. Just remember to take it slow and consult the repair section here for advice if you need it; there's a lot of great information to be had.

I'd definitely recommend getting a Buescher piece at some point; it will really bring out the original sound of the horn. Good luck finding a Goldbeck C-mel piece, though; I've been hunting around for one myself, but they seldom show up and when they do they're never cheap. I occasionally use my Goldbeck alto piece on my C-mels and have liked the results, but I'd imagine a real C-mel piece would sound much better.
I don't know what just happened but my reply disappeared...

I got some sample pads from MM for the Holton, so I will probably order the Buescher-holes from them. I saw on their website they also have a Buescher hole-punch if you want to use other pads and DIY.

There was an interesting Sinclair adjustable C-Mel piece on the auction site recently, but it sold almost immediately at $149. Goldbeck doesn't mark their pieces, so you have to just trust the seller when they say it's a C-Mel. I looked around for dimensions for comparison, but it seems the alto and C-Mel were about the same externally.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Soundproof the Dhouse and you can go out there to practice! Well.......in the warmer months, anyway.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,881 Posts
Oh man... my C Melody was such a fantastic, cherry wonder. All original and hardly played. But then I left it in my car one night in Baltimore and left the doors unlocked. I get back... and you know what I found... four more C Melody saxophones in the back seat.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,918 Posts
I find the solution is to keep enough horns in the home that you can claim you already had that one, they just missed it... Or that I've had it for years, someone has just been borrowing it!

·
Registered
C-Melody
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh man... my C Melody was such a fantastic, cherry wonder. All original and hardly played. But then I left it in my car one night in Baltimore and left the doors unlocked. I get back... and you know what I found... four more C Melody saxophones in the back seat.
Where were you parked? I'd like the spot when you leave! Maybe I can catch a King C Mel with the right bait horn... :whistle:

·
Registered
C-Melody
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I find the solution is to keep enough horns in the home that you can claim you already had that one, they just missed it... Or that I've had it for years, someone has just been borrowing it!
I've actually done that with a clarinet...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,493 Posts
I’m guessing the neighbors were trying to offer one you could actually play right.

NEVER have more than 8 out at one time...wives can come home two days early...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I got a similar suggestion at the music store when I wanted to trade in my cheap Chinese Jazz Bass clone on a real Fender Jazz Bass. Keep them both just don't have them both out at the same time! She won't know the difference.

There are lots of instruments I regret selling but that Rogue Jazz Bass copy isn't one of them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts