Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having intonation problems with my YBS 62

I am currently having problems with being 10 -15 cents flat on the Rousseau RC4 baritone mouthpiece and the S80 C*. The problems are coming from mouthpiece selection and reed selection. The instrument has been serviced and maintained. I am looking for a mouthpiece that complements the horn well and is dark for both wind ensemble play and quartet. Prices don't matter. I would also like to mention that my reed selection is a Legere classical 3.25 reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,204 Posts
Pushing the mouthpiece on a bit farther doesn't fix it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at half way on the neck it is 10 cents flat. When pushed in all the way on the instrument the intonation is not balanced through out the horn but the fundamental F is in tune.

·
19,204 Posts
What happens when you push it on just a hair past halfway?
What happens when you firm up your embouchure a smidge?
What happens when/if you use a slightly softer cane reed?
Really, this sounds more like operator error than a mouthpiece problem.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
What happens when you push it on just a hair past halfway?
What happens when you firm up your embouchure a smidge?
What happens when/if you use a slightly softer cane reed?
Really, this sounds more like operator error than a mouthpiece problem.
Especially on a YBS62.
These are one of the most mouthpiece friendly evenly tuned baritones you will find.

·
19,204 Posts
Especially on a YBS62.
These are one of the most mouthpiece friendly evenly tuned baritones you will find.
Even my old Buescher 400 gets along with every mouthpiece I've used on it.
Yamaha, Rousseau, Level Aire, Metalite, Graftonite.
A Rousseau or C* should not be an 'intonation problem' on that far more modern YBS62.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried pushing the mouthpiece in slightly and it makes little improvements. When using a softer reed than the 3.25 i tend to over blow it flat. The problem that I'm facing is that the mid range of the horn is typically in tune around the halfway mark on the neck. However the fundamental f is 10 cents flat. I typically play alto and haven't had many problems with intonation on my alto setup. On the YBS 62 my colleagues and I have both faced this issue. I would love to get advice on embouchure and voicing for the Baritone Saxophone.

·
7,904 Posts
I do recall the open C# being out just slightly on my 62 when I had it.
I have a YBS61 now and don’t have that problem anymore.
Now I just have a stuffy A2 and G2.

·
19,204 Posts
Oh dear lord... It's just a larger saxophone.
Looser embouchure, voicing is similar to alto/tenor.
10 cents flat isn't HUGE. USE YOUR DAMNED EARS AND LIP IT UP, USE AN EEE TONGUE POSITION.
I'm a CLARINETIST and know how to play a big horn in tune.

·
Registered
309 Posts
For what it's worth, my YBS-32 is the most "in-tune" of all my saxophones (insofar as any saxophone can be said to be in-tune).
It works fine with a Selmer S-80 C* and other ebonite mouthpieces I have tried, including Rousseau JDX6, Otto Link, Berg-Larsen and Lawton.

·
7,904 Posts
To be honest, I could get most of those pieces to tune respectably on my The Martin Bari.
(And this one is a pretty picky horn.)
10c doesn’t buy a mint these days.
I’d cut my losses and start lipping.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I have tried pushing the mouthpiece in slightly and it makes little improvements. When using a softer reed than the 3.25 i tend to over blow it flat. The problem that I'm facing is that the mid range of the horn is typically in tune around the halfway mark on the neck. However the fundamental f is 10 cents flat. I typically play alto and haven't had many problems with intonation on my alto setup. On the YBS 62 my colleagues and I have both faced this issue. I would love to get advice on embouchure and voicing for the Baritone Saxophone.
My advice, having primarily played baritone for the last 34 years, is to learn how to take a baritone-sax-sized breath and blow THROUGH the thing, not AT it.

Both of the MPs you mention will play BEAUTIFULLY on a Yamaha 62 in good condition. You need to spend more time in the shed with the baritone.

I have written extensively on here about my own personal tone building exercises (not "my own" in the sense that I invented them; I got them from the distinguished flautist Wally Downs who probably got them from someone else) and I am typing one handed today so if you are interested you can look me up. Others have presented their exercises, most of which are similar to mine and will work equally well, and all of which end up boiling down to :"learn how to take a baritone-sax-sized breath and blow THROUGH the thing, not AT it."

I will, however, recommend you view the videos titled "The Music of Joe Temperley" especially the next to last one where he gives a superb master class on how to incorporate the concepts of breath control and singing tone used in bel canto singing, to the saxophone, specifically the baritone sax.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Set the mouthpiece on the cork where low F# (A concert) is in tune. Then check the F# an octave higher both with and without the octave key. If your mouthpiece pitch is at a concert D or lower, these F#'s should be very close. Next check the F# fingering low B natural and overblowing to the second overtone. You may have to move the mouthpiece slightly to a compromise position so that all 3 pitches match. Once this is completed, the saxophone is tuned as accurately as it can be with regard to length. The remainder of playing in tune is done by listening and matching pitch by "humoring" the notes with the embouchure, voicing, etc. Remember: "Saxophones don't play out of tune---people do."

·
2,767 Posts
Oh dear lord... It's just a larger saxophone.
Looser embouchure, voicing is similar to alto/tenor.
10 cents flat isn't HUGE. USE YOUR DAMNED EARS AND LIP IT UP, USE AN EEE TONGUE POSITION.
I'm a CLARINETIST and know how to play a big horn in tune.
Real talk. This is what you need to do.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Re: I'm having intonation problems with my YBS 62

What I learned about the bari sax; tune the lower register, and then make the upper registers fall in place with your embouchure. 10 - 15 cents doesn't sound like a big deal though. That should be easy to adjust (try a vintage Martin bari for fun ;-) ).

·
7,904 Posts

What I learned about the bari sax; tune the lower register, and then make the upper registers fall in place with your embouchure. 10 - 15 cents doesn't sound like a big deal though. That should be easy to adjust (try a vintage Martin bari for fun ;-) ).
I have two The Martin baritones.
And a 36 12m.
Intonation doesn’t get too much more challenging that that.
But I can still make a huge range of pieces work on these horns.
Including some higher baffled pieces.
I’ve had the 12m the longest.
When I first got it, I really struggled to find a piece that would even come close to tuning on it.
But now I can confidently put just about any piece on it and not struggle.
It takes time and commitment to developing your chops and more importantly air support to blow a Baritone in tune.
As was mentioned in post #12 by Turf3.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts

10 - 15 cents doesn't sound like a big deal though.
Not a big deal if your goal is playing music. But is a deal if your goal is to get the needle on the tuner to show 0. ;)

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
The Yamaha baris have superb intonation. I played a 52 for decades and play tested it against several 62s and never noticed a difference.

The only problem I had was early on playing with an open tipped mouthpiece. I had the tendency to bite the palm keys sharp. But that was me, not the sax. Once I kept my embouchure more neutral, the sound and intonation was great.

·
Registered
337 Posts

I play this piece with Vandoren blue box 4's. I had a 52 in high school, a 62 in college and this was a great legit combo. Wind ensemble and classical quartet. The Yamaha's played so much more in tune for me than the MkVI I had access to. Relax and blow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have you tried practicing long tones with a tuner out? Itll help you find the natural tendencies of the horn and make it easier to fix them

1 - 20 of 21 Posts