Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!!!
Today is a big day for me because, for the first time in 5 years I'm going to play alto again (I've been playing tenor for 5 years now). I've bought a Keilwerth EX-90II (2nd hand, good state, recently checked). When I tested it it sounded great! I don't see why people don't like the sound. I think the EX-90II had the same "feel" like a pro-sax. One thing that would be kinda a problem, is that I now have to learn all my tunes and improvisations in Eb (I know everything in Bb atm). Also, transposing from C to Bb is pretty easy, you just put everything a whole note down. How do I do this for alto? It's in Eb, so, erhm, I guess I would have to put everything 1,5 step down? I'm always confused :p Anyways, what do you guys have experienced with Keilwerth?

Oh, by the way, sorry for the, maybe "spoilt" (although, this is my second sax in 5 years), title but I'm just really excited about it!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
My daughter plays a SX-90 lacquered tenor and loves it. Though it is prone to sticky pads. My daughter had a EX -90II and prefered it to the SXs. She liked the left hand feel(similar to her cannonb all big bell alto). But we exchanged the EX for the Sx due to the EX having somew damage(pushed in thumb hook and bell braced pushed in bell that I failed to notice when purchasing). I hate keilwerth cases. We had her case modified at Ed's cases. Horn moved around too much in case. Ed added padding. When you play a Bb horn you trans[pose up a step(a major 2nd). Because when you finger a c on a soprano or tenor the sax sounds a Bb.For Eb horns you transpose up a M6 or down a m3.A Eb sax when figering a c plays a Eb.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Or if you know Tenor notes, and wish to transpose. What is easier for me. Is this.
On Tenor concert B Flat is a C. On Alto it is a G. On Tenor Concert F is a G, on Alto it is a D. Since I know that, I just play off of that. THen to figure out the key. I look at the Tenor key. Alto is 1 step above Tenor; when it deals with the key.

Hey you should be exicted about it. If your not, then maybe you don't want the horn. You should of seen me picking up my Alto. I was glad their were no cops around. :D :D :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm always really shakey when aquiring new stuff for my sax (except reeds&bags, then). I was also very nervous for my mouthpiece... :p 25 minutes to go, and then I can go pick it up...

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Settle Down!!!

Ok, I know I said be exicted earlier, but counting down the minutes until you can go get it may not be healthy. A New report says that jumping up and down while waiting to go pick it up may shorten your life expentency. :D :D
HE HE Just joking

Take a breath, and settle down. I know it is exicting. However, if you drive to go pick it up. Then you must settle down. If you drive in your condition, you may get taged with a ticket, and then it will slow you down even more.

Breath
OUT IN OUT IN OUT IN

It will be ok, it will be there when you go get it.

:D :D :D :D
~Carbs

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
lol my heartbeat is 130! And that while I'm just sitting down!

15 Minutes to go!

edit: I GOT IT!!!!

God I love it's sound. I'd give my ST tenor a 3/10, and this EX alt an 8,5 ! Not... much.. time ... to type... must... argh PLAY!!! RAARGH

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
Carbs said:
Alto is 1 step above Tenor; when it deals with the key.
Maybe this is a typo or something, but to avoid confusion, I'll point out this is not correct. The alto is a perfect 5th above the tenor (not "1 step"). If you want to transpose from tenor to alto, move up a 5th:

So, if the tenor key is A, then the alto will be in E. If the tenor is in C, the alto will be in G. Tenor in F#, alto in C#. And so on.

As already mentioned, the alto is a major 6th above the concert key: Concert Bb is G on the alto, etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,142 Posts
I think you have the right idea, but the wrong vocabulary for what you're trying to say. Yes, depending on the key signature, you would either remove a flat or add a sharp to transpose the key from tenor to alto. However, when you say it's 1 step up, it sounds like you're saying that if the tenor is in C, the alto is in D, when you actually mean if the tenor's in C, the alto is in G.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This might maybe help your transposing problem:

Take the concert key (c for example), take the minor of that (a minor) and make it major, and you've got the key for an Eb instrumint (A major)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts