Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I've just registered myself for a jazz camp. Basicly: it's a week of pure jazz.
The daily program is:
8:30-9:00: breakfast
9:00-10:30: instrument (so sax) lesson
10:30-11:00-break
11:00-12:15- instrument lesson
12:15-13:30- break
13:30-15:30- instrument lesson
15:30-16:00- break
16:00-18:00- band
18:00-19:00- Supper
19:00-24:00- Jammin' ! :D

Anyone got any experiences with anything like this? I hope it'll be fun and very helpful! The only thing I'm kinda doubtful about is that I'll be playing about 10 hours of saxophone a day, and I don't know if I can keep that up.
Better get to work quick :)

grts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah I remember when for a few days straight I would play 12-14 a day crazy in know.
You will make it

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am a regular at my local University's everyone invited camp. It wasn't an overnighter, but a week long, 8-6, with a 30min. lunch break followed by a 30 min. Jam. It's no where as long as yours because a Canadian minute is worth 15% less.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,310 Posts
Hey - I did that for the first time last year.

Wonderful time - the jam sessions are usually the best part!

It's amazing after playing for 3 or 4 long days you can keep playing - you'll surprise yourself.

Which one are you going to?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well you'll probably don't know it, it's in Belgium. It's organised by the "Halewyn"-organisation(I won't mind spelling it foneticly).
I've known some people who went there before going to college.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,310 Posts
Have fun!

Is it mostly a trad jazz thing - or are you going to play some Dixieland - or modern stuff?

No worries. I'm hookt on foniks myself..

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it's a jazz-stage so I guess it's mostly jazz. The teachers there all seem to be pretty big (in Belgium then, I've just read that the 1st sax teacher played with Joe Lovano, and my band teacher (Christoph Erbstösser) played with Randy Brecker ^^).
Here's a list:

Piano
Ewout Pierreux (B)
Christoph Erbstösser (D)

Sax
Pierre Vaiana (B)
Mike Rossi (R.S.A.)

Guitar
Serge Lazarevitch (F)
Hans Van Oost (B)

Singing
Dr.Gloria Cooper (U.S.A.)
Kristina Fuchs (CH)

Double Bass
Stefan Lievestro (NL)

Bassguitar
David De Marez – Oyens (NL)

Drums
Dré Pallemaerts (B)
Teun Verbruggen (B)

Theory
Maarten Weyler (B)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like a blast!

I've attended and taught at a number of these.

Just remember that all the stuff they're going to show you won't sink in right away! Don't get discouraged. It's much easier for the instructors to tell you what you "should" be doing than it is for you to actually do it.

Bring a tape recorder and record all your classes and lessons! Write down everything you can. Whenever I hear good advice at these I think "I'll remember that later!" and unless I write it down or have it on tape I almost ALWAYS forget!

Have fun!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have this problem when playing for more than 2 hours: my jaw joint starts to hurt! Is this maybe because of the wrong embouchure?

It's very uncomfortable and I don't know If I can play that long then (2 hours are fine most of the time, but sometimes I've got quite some issues with my jaw, this surely could ruin the camp If I can't go along with the group)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think it begins to hurt because after 2 hours your lips get tired and so you begin to bite a bit with the low teeth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I attended several jazz camps when I was in high school. They really are great. And jam with as many people as you can. It's a wonderful opportunity to meet other cats who can really play. I ended up making a lot of friends and playing a lot more gigs after each jazz camp I went to. As far getting tired from playing a lot, you may also just need to relax your jaw and embouchure a bit. And never be afraid to ask questions or volunteer to play in a masterclass, the instructors usually appreciate that. Have fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts