Sax on the Web Forum banner

I'm bagging it in

22K views 110 replies 74 participants last post by  getafix 
#1 ·
Yep. My woodwinds have gone in the closet where they'll be staying for an unknown length of time. For personal and professional reasons, I'm turning to playing French horn and trumpet. My reasons are based on both some real disappointments with events surrounding my woodwind playing situations and some things I'm pretty well fed up with, and on a positive side, more opportunities, particularly for solo work, on trumpet.

I'm posting this because my participation here may slack off and my advice will certainly be more limited because of distancing myself from WW playing. Also, I have had serious health problems since September and I wouldn't want anyone to be concerned that there's a connection between that and less participation here.

This is certainly not a YAGE, it's just something to share with my SOTW brothers and sisters, and most definitely nothing negative regarding the forum, by which I have learned a tremendous amount, thanks to the quality and willingness to share of its members.

#2 ·
well wish you all the best! gary, your post have been excellent and a source of information for many people on here.
Theres nothing wrong with taking a little time out to concentrate, on other ventures.and ive, no doubt you will return in the future,with renewed enthusiasm..

#4 ·
Hey Gary

Does this count as a YAIE?... an "instrument" exit? :mrgreen:

Hope you stick around, I've learned stuff from many of your posts.

Also hope your health situation improves

#14 ·
"Whoa!" — I clicked on the thread title hoping I'd misread it. Thanks Gary, your posts were always well-written and worth reading; your opinions and advice always carried a little more weight with me. Definitely drop in and tell us how you're doing from time to time.

#16 ·
Gary, I'm shocked that:

1. Anythings so severe has happened that would make you seriously shelve the woodwinds for trumpet and French horn.
2. That you play trumpet and French horn also, something I was unaware of.

Hopefully you'll continue to play sax from time to time just for the personal pleasure of it, if nothing else. I play a number of instruments myself, and manage to find time to squeeze most in on a weekly basis.

Be sure to check in on SOTW and don't abandon us. I've participated on many of the brasswind forums, and they leave a lot to be desired by comparison.:bluewink:

#18 ·
woodwinds may have gone to the closet. but with over 22,000 posts, I hope that you will go back to the closet once in a while to look for them, and pay us a visit once in a while.
SOTW is a better place, a greater family with you around.
take care of yourself.
keep in touch!

#20 ·
Gary, the very fact that you can professionally slip over to the brasswind side when the woodwinds ain't giving you what you need is ... well, dumbfounding to someone less "ambidextrous" like myself.

Yours has been an unusually wise and worthy voice around here, and I'm hoping we'll be hearing more from you...

(If nothing else, PLEASE remember while you're "over there" what a pain in the @ss reeds are!) (Also, hope the health stuff clears up...)

#23 ·
Thanks for the kind words, folks. Just a clarification - my participation here will drop, not vanish, that's all. If I just quit cold turkey, with my past SOTW addiction, my total detoxing withdrawal would make Charlie Sheen look like he's Saint Francis of Assisi.

Actually, even for someone who doesn't play the sax, this is a great resource for the periodic discussions about musical techniques on a general scale; better than a lot of other forums I've seen. And also, unlike these other forums, this one has personality-plus.

#24 ·
Wishing you good health and good fortune in your endeavors Gary.
Hard to imagine this place without your ever presence.
Your posts, always a joy to read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.