Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many different horns over the years, from Mark VIs to 6Ms, I find myself without an alto again. After many good experiences with trying out Buescher horns and having used to play a late 400 bari and a TT tenor way back when, I have decided to pick up a series I 'crat alto.
I found a decent looking one on fleebay and pulled the trigger. I should have it tomorrow and I can't wait to put some air into it. After trying out all of the aristocrats and the 400 series horns, the series I altos always had a way of making me smile just that little bit more. Maybe it is something in the metal, but I love their looks and their sound.
Out of shear excitement, I figured I'd post a few pictures of my new gal and see what you all thought. The lacquer looks original to me, but I'm not really worried about it.
View attachment 66368 View attachment 66369 View attachment 66370
View attachment 66371 View attachment 66372

Thank you all for looking :D

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
My alto is a '36 Aristocrat. They're great horns - excellent intonation even by today's standards, enough flexibility for literally any genre, and they're on the low end of the price spectrum for pro horns although certainly by no fault of theirs. They're solid from the tech's perspective too, minus a few minor if annoying design flaws.
Looks like original lacquer to me too, and in far better shape than mine. If it was relacquered, it was very well-done judging by the engraving.
Have fun with that thing.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
999 Posts
Great decision. Your pic of the bell is kinda' out of focus and dark. Otherwise it looks in great shape. Got a #310XXX Aristocrat alto recently myself. It's at the techs right now for an o/h.
I just love the rich, smooth sound of Bueschers. Like you, I'm anxious to get it in my hands. They have to be some of the best values (overlooked gems) on the market. Nice score!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Your pic of the bell is kinda' out of focus and dark.
Sorry about that. They are the pictures from the sales ad. I will take more when I get it. I agree 100% about them being smooth and rich in tone and the value for the money you spend is insane. You get a lot of horn for so little from your pocket (when compared to new or the more popular vintage horns).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts