Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a high school student(with a limited budget:x ) and i would like a P. Mauriat Alto. I am a jazz musician (old school Big Band Style:cool: ) and i would like a sax that would give me a vintage sound. I'm leaning tword the "Swing 55" or the "PMSA-67R" or the "system 76" what do you think?:? Thanks for your time!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
"Jimmy": Welcome to SOTW.

Before we go any further, I urge you to change your screen name, unless your real name IS Jimmy Dorsey.

I think it is disrespectful, even though you may not have meant it to be so. I could go on and on, but I think you, and everyone else gets it.

As far as achieving a swing-era sound on a new saxophone, I suppose it can be done. But a person's individual sound comes from years of "shedding" and fooling around with various mouthpiece/reed/horn combos - NOT from buying a new P. Mauriat.

While I don't think the actual brand-name matters, if you want to sound "vintage", then maybe you should buy a vintage saxophone. No guarantees, of course, but it would be a good start. There are plenty of good ones around (Selmer Cigar Cutters, SBA's, Buescher Aristocrats, Conn 6M, etc., etc.). Take a look at Gayle Fredenburgh's www.vintagesax.com for a start. DAVE

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I have to agree with Dave, go vintage if you want a vintage sound. I own/owned a vintage Alto (I am in the process of selling it), but I feel in love with the vintage key work, and the sound. So much so that I have looked back for almost any new horn that I would like. Also I am in high school as well, and often fight with a limited budget (partly becuase I have too much G.A.S.). You can get a great vintage horn and get it set up perfectly then you can for a new P. Mauriat.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I seldom disagree with Dave but I've got a few, harummph, alternative thoughts.

Regarding choice of horns here we go again. If you're playing, for example, an old YAS 23, if it's in good shape it should serve you well until you're more experienced. However, it seems I'm one of the few here (recently at least) who think that there are differences in certain horn's core sounds and characteristics so I'm not going to go over that again.

If you're an inexperienced youngster, have got the money and have a vintage sound in your head (and eyes) I see no reason why you should not get yourself a Mauriat.

You could probably give me or Dave both of these saxes and eventually we'd sound the same on both. But if a new Mauriat gives you the feel, and particularly the incentive to keep playing and to work harder, then I say it's worth it.

As an aside, I have no problem myself with the Dorsey moniker. No one here is using it as a source of disrespect or butt of jokes. We've got plenty of "jazzking"s, "masterjazzman" "TraneDex"s on the board and it doesn't bother me, personally.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Jimmy,
I am going to need to ask you a few questions if that is ok.
1) What is your playing expierence?
2) What are you playing on?
3) Where are your goals muscially?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,013 Posts
gary said:
If you're an inexperienced youngster, have got the money and have a vintage sound in your head (and eyes) I see no reason why you should not get yourself a Mauriat.
Recent reports of intonational quirks would give me pause in this regard. Seems now that the honeymoon is over, we're seeing more critical reviews. I'd at least want to have a digital tuner with me when trying out these horns.

·
27,650 Posts
If you're an inexperienced youngster, have got the money and have a vintage sound in your head (and eyes) I see no reason why you should not get yourself a Mauriat.... all other things being equal. :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,263 Posts
the banner ad comes down and P. Mauriat viral marketing starts back up!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
In MY view, Dexter Dorsey is not disrespectful. It is a name only, one that could be associated with the great Jimmy Dorsey - or not.

But to take the name Jimmy Dorsey is just wrong. Should I change my screen name to Sidney Bechet or Johnny Hodges? Absolutely NOT, and neither should anyone else who isn't actually named like that.

As to being able to play a PM horn in the swing-style and sound authentic, I didn't mean to imply it could not be done. I think we all know that aside from subtle nuances, most saxophones sound like . . . SAXOPHONES. So there is no reason that our new poster COULDN'T buy a new PM and sound like - Jimmy Dorsey.

I'm just wondering why, out of all the horns out there, this youngster chooses a P. Mauriat, when his hero sure didn't play one? Hey, if he can afford it - go for it. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
Dave Dolson said:
But to take the name Jimmy Dorsey is just wrong. Should I change my screen name to Sidney Bechet or Johnny Hodges? Absolutely NOT, and neither should anyone else who isn't actually named like that.
Would taking the name of Engelbert Humperdink be disrespectful, then?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
Tim Glesmann at Sax Alley has a few Mauriat altos for less than $1500 in the used section.

saxalley.com

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
potiphar said:
Would taking the name of Engelbert Humperdink be disrespectful, then?
YEEESSSS!!!!

Seriously: I do kind of agree with what Dave's saying. Jimmy Dorsey is an important player, always cited by Parker as an influence, for example. OK he's not Coltrane but the point's still well made. If i were "Johnny Hodges" and started sounding off about alto sax or birth control on this forum i think it would raise a few hackles. Those names that are like "MiniJohnColtrane" etc are a different case, it seems to me.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have yet to find a P. Mauriat with intonation difficulties, Everytime I try out a new horn I take two tuners, a digital korg with a pick-up and then I use my peterson. The P. Mauriat saxes really do have great intonation. Now I have seen people who have been playing on some older horns that do require a lot of embouchure adjustment play on a Mauriat and the intonation is weird, but that is only because they are still adjusting those pitches like they do on their older horns. To help with this situation have someone else check the tuning while you are playing, and really one must focus on keeping their embouchure set and not manipulate anything. remebering to keep a nice open throat and the back of the mouth raised and open, or else you will have intonation problems, just like you would on any other horn.

·
1,263 Posts
There use to be someone on hear that used the screen name Bud Shank and that really annoyed me...I think it was worse than Jimmy Dorsey as Bud Shank is still alive.

·
27,650 Posts
Art_Salt said:
There use to be someone on hear that used the screen name Bud Shank and that really annoyed me...I think it was worse than Jimmy Dorsey as Bud Shank is still alive.
Whoa, hey. What about Art Salt? What's the difference or big thing? I won't argue, obviously this is one of personal viewpoint but in some respects a forum is one big costume party at times. As long as no one is dissing anyone I just don't see the problem.
It's just a pseudonym all in good fun. Let's party. :eek:ccasion:

·
1,263 Posts
Ron Mexico

Busted! but c'mon, Art Salt is a pseudonym on a couple of records, not someone's name...though the NFL did ban RON MEXICO from appearing on any NFL licensed apparel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for your feed back, It was very helpful! Thaks again!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts