Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This book really didn't teach me anything new but like Patterns for jazz it gives me some good ideas on specifics to practice and its a good jazz book for beg or intermediates flutes wanting to start improvisation. It goes through the if you don't know what a major scale or chord is which I didn't need but it has some good patterns for diminished , blues scales and II V work. I guess what I like is most of this stuff I did years ago on sax so its fresh simply because its flute and I haven't done some of this work for years. I saw a workshop by her which was not very useful, (she talked way too much and played little) but in the end I thought I need to support my local music store so I bought the book from them (it was at Tims Music in Carmichael Ca, by sacramento). I'm glad I did buy it. If you want to add a 20 or 30 minute "jazz" thing to do in addition to your classical studies its perfect for that. I think Amazon has them. (I am no relation to the author and frankly I bought the book even though I wasn't thrilled by the workshop she did. K

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I've been tempted to get this book on a few occasions but cost and the fact that I have a bookshelf full on improv books, mainly geared towards sax, that I rarely use has always dissuaded me. Do you feel it's different enough from your other improv books to justify the cost?? Thanks...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
I've been tempted to get this book on a few occasions but cost and the fact that I have a bookshelf full on improv books, mainly geared towards sax, that I rarely use has always dissuaded me. Do you feel it's different enough from your other improv books to justify the cost?? Thanks...
I have Ryerson’s book as well. She does share some concepts that are expressed in a perspective new to me - not new material, but in a new way of explaining it. I, too, have at least half of shelf of books on theory and exercises, and this is a welcome addition.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I have Ryerson’s book as well. She does share some concepts that are expressed in a perspective new to me - not new material, but in a new way of explaining it. I, too, have at least half of shelf of books on theory and exercises, and this is a welcome addition.
Fair enough Dr. G. I'll plan on picking one up when I get a chance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you find it hard to run a pattern through all keys without music this gives you many patterns written out so that might be a help. I guess what I like about is some things that would be easy for me on sax I actually have to think about on flute, like some of her blues patterns. So thats good. Also I like how she constructs chords based on stacking either a minor third (three half steps) or a major third (4 half steps) and it gave me some ideas on how to add chromaticism into some lines. But I don't have many books since I gave away anything I hadn't touched in 2 years when we had the fires in Nor Cal. I like this book just to add a jazz perspective to my hour of flute chops daily I do. K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts