Sax on the Web Forum banner

If you had to choose any other instrument besides sax, what would you play?

• Flute

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Clarinet

Votes: 23 17.3%
  • Oboe/Bassoon

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Trumpet

Votes: 21 15.8%
  • Trombone

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Tuba

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Percussion

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Guitar/Bass

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 32 24.1%
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question considering its a saxophone forum, but if you had the choice which would you enjoy playing the most?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't believe I didn't think to put that one as a choice...

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,509 Posts
i already play clarinet, flute, wind controller. my biggest regret is that i did not learn to play piano very well early on. so i am going with "other" being piano.

B

·
Registered
646 Posts
+1 for piano.
Although given that there are two flutes in the house, it would be nice to be able to play flute too.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
really to bad.. if i didn't played tenor i would play piano.. guitar is cool but to me nothing sounds melodic/harmonic as a piano :bluewink: and it's cool because i daily practice a little but i'm just a piano :baby:

ehehe :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
picked up percussion to work on my rhythm.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
If I were ten and got to choose all over again, I'd skip the woodwinds entirely and become a bassist.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
Well, if you rule out woodwinds I would probably go with keys. Or maybe guitar. Something you can play chords on.

·
3,695 Posts
Not to pour salt in that scrape, but yeah, I saw the title and the choice was really easy.... yet not a choice... Still going to get the skills on it though. It helps everything. After that would be drums for me.

[edit] Wait!! That's not on the list either.....!!?

And you have oboe/bassoon???

·
Registered
606 Posts
I am currently trying to learn the guitar. Always wanting to be different, I don't like that the guitar is the main choice of the masses, but it can be so very expressive by using the different techniques of playing.

·
3,287 Posts
I am a guitarist first and a sax player second.

It's very interesting to try to play sax like jazz lines on a guitar and of course some are masters at it like Alan Holdsworth.

The guitar is versatile because it's a harmony instrument like a piano but it also has a percussion like thing to it as well depending on what tone is dialed in for electric and that's another thing about the electric guitar is that the tone can vary from very clean and unsustaining which is ideal for a funk part and other things to a sustaining tone which can play sax like lines and rock solos.

So many songs have been written using a guitar (and piano) and I would find it hard to write a song on a sax or clarinet or flute.

The rise of the guitar is on the back of those songs and all the different tones and playing styles as well plus it's easy to just have an acoustic in the house somewhere and pick it up and play it whenever without annoying anyone with volume too much.

Every instrument has it's strengths and weaknesses.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a carinet that I was going to Self teach myself on but it instead gathers dust. I used to play the piano when I was a nipper and have been thinking for a while about getting a keyboard to have a bit of fun with. But more money I cant justify with kids and bills etc. ;). x

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,142 Posts
piano or drums. I think the independence of hands/feet, when playing those instruments, holds a layer of musical thought and concept that is beyond what I can conceive when playing the saxophone.

·
3,287 Posts
And if someone sings then it's pretty hard/impossible to accompany themselves with a sax, clarinet or flute but easier on a guitar or piano.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Trumpet, cause I love the sound and articulations.....plus, it's only got 4 keys to worry about. :whistle:

:bluewink: :laughing::laughing:

OOPS, stupid me, I meant 3 keys....even less to worry about

·
Registered
67 Posts
Piano. You don't need to look for an accompanist. Also I already own one ( came with the house ).

1 - 20 of 79 Posts