1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,228 Posts
This alblum takes me back to a day around 1959 or 1960. I remember it like it was yesterday. My Pops walked into the house, pulled this alblum out of a brown paper bag, slapped it down on the kitchen table and declared, "this guy is the future of music, this is what we need to be listening to." Pops was pretty cool, eh?

Every cut on it is a classic. I spent hours next to our big Capehart console sterio memorizing every note of music on this. It also featured Philly trumpet player Johnny Splawn, and the great baritone saxophonist Shahib Shihab. Man, this takes me back!

Thanks, sagaleon.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Something so simple about it, yet a real killer!
Simple = tells a story. Too many players just want to get past the tune so they can start improvising. They show little love for the tune. Trane, like most old-school players, are story tellers.

= straight from the heart. The head's there but it was there in the shed, not when the improvisation began.

= the embellishments. They're in the "right" places and don't dick around with the melody. They make sense, something almost completely lost on today's pop singers, BTW.

This is the one that has always stuck with me. I could probably not defend it intellectually against some other ballads but it is just so hauntingly beautiful and that recurring figure that Duke sets up won't go away in your mind. Just wonderful. Duke and Trane "In a Sentimental Mood". http://youtu.be/sCQfTNOC5aE

Thanks for posting that, segaleon :salute:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Coltrane was such a beautiful ballads player. Thanks for posting. I hadn't listened to this track in a long time.

·
27,650 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
What kind of music do you like, Jim?
All sorts generally

I can usually find something I like in any genre - even Rap :gasp:

Unfortunately Jazz really does leave me cold

I find myself playing mostly Ska, Regae, Rock and Alt Country

·
Registered
516 Posts
I actually hear an interesting similarity between Coltrane and Stan Getz in the fast, out-of-time arpeggiated sweeps. I love that track!

·
27,650 Posts
All sorts generally

I can usually find something I like in any genre - even Rap :gasp:

Unfortunately Jazz really does leave me cold

I find myself playing mostly Ska, Regae, Rock and Alt Country
Hmmm that's interesting, since what you like and jazz all come from the same sources, they just branched out differently.

Here, we'll see if we can't find some common ground. Do you know the recording "Hi-bop Ska" with the Skatalites and progressive jazzers Lester Bowie (trumpet), David Murray (tenor sax), Steve Turrey (trombone), I think Monty Alexander, a Carribean home boy, and others? You can find files on You tube for free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts