Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play guitar.

Over the last couple months, I recorded and posted some stuff that included both my sax and guitar playing (example 1 & example 2). It's pretty easy to tell I'm a much better guitar player. Listening back to these tracks makes me wonder if I'll ever catch up on the sax. Given I've played the guitar for 30 years and the sax only 6 years, that not hard to understand. I often wonder why musical ability doesn't translate very quickly through other instruments. It's the same musical language right? It's just a different tool to make the sound. Is it just the physical obstacles or something more? I guess it's because each instrument requires so much dedication to become proficient. When I was younger, I wanted to be a one man band. I tried all kinds of instruments in that pursuit like the piano, trumpet, violin, bass and drums. I still play bass, but gave up the rest. Guitar comes the most natural to me. The sax inspires me the most. I practice sax the most cause it needs the most work ;) I get a bit frustrated sometimes when I play the guitar and sounds better than me sax playing. That may be strange, but I'm looking for equal ability between the two.

I'm rambling here. I'd be interested in some of your experiences if you don't mind.

TJ

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Id give up 30 years worth of other skills for 30 years of sax in a heartbeat. Just playing one instrument to a point I'm partially happy with would be something I'd be pleased with.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
the tech who does most of my work.... then when I wasn't happy with how the sax sounded I could take it back and say see you screwed up.. instead I am left wondering if it isn't just me... Oh I know... must be the mouthpiece or the reed.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I think it depends on the individual. There was a guy on here a few years back who was a jazz guitarist and was gigging pretty convincingly on sax within about 6 months of taking it up. It's kind of annoying when it happens in a way but it does happen.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
I think it depends on the individual. There was a guy on here a few years back who was a jazz guitarist and was gigging pretty convincingly on sax within about 6 months of taking it up. It's kind of annoying when it happens in a way but it does happen.
Are you talking about Rob Dorsey? Oh, wait . . . he was a trombonist.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I really think only the gifted few with the true talent normally become good on multiple instruments. Most of us would do much better to decide on one, and devote ourselves to it to become what we envision.

What ever happened to Rob? He was entertaining.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Are you talking about Rob Dorsey? Oh, wait . . . he was a trombonist.
That sounds like an American to me. This guy was English believe it or not. crazydaisydoo was his username, i think. Someone probably "released the hounds" or maybe got too many gigs to come on here any more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I'd just settle for being able to consistently play as good as I myself can sometimes play on a "good day". That right there might just be enough.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I'd just settle for being able to consistently play as good as I myself can sometimes play on a "good day". That right there might just be enough.
Yeah man! I would settle for that too. Sometimes I'm really pleased with what I play. Mostly I suck.

As to the OP. I too, have guitar abilities based on many years of playing. ( I haven't yet listened to your clips because I'm posting from the road but I will.) I only picked up the sax again on a fluke request from a former band-mate. What's funny is that I get 10 times as many gigs on sax as I do guitar. I'm really working at getting better but I keep waiting for someone to figure out I'm in way over my head. There's very little that can be done but to spend all my free time trying to live up to what my bandmates think I can do. I've seriously considered lessons but I spend my days making music on computers, my "free time" working with my wife's music on various instruments and 3-5 nights a week trying to learn to play sax from various stages. I just don't have time for lessons but I do listen to you guys (and gals) listening suggestions and sound clips and steal "licks". Something that I've been doing a little lately is stealing my own guitar licks. Since I'm already familiar with them, it's a quick pickup.

BTW. I did the sax, guitars, pads, and programming on the music in my sig. The pianist and I wrote it, "on the fly" when we had some high-powered players in the studio for another project. We keep saying we'll finish the project one day but we stalled at 4 songs....

Lately I wish I could be a saxophone player instead of a jack of all trades (master of none) but I hear the "shine" players and know I'll never get to that level. It's depressing actually but playing at any level is so much fun the depression rarely lasts for long....

I've pretty much decided I could be a darn good blues player with a few more years work but that dang jazz stuff is just over my head.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really think only the gifted few with the true talent normally become good on multiple instruments. Most of us would do much better to decide on one, and devote ourselves to it to become what we envision.
I used to think I had some talent. Funny thing is the better I get, the less talent I think I have. I'm now able to listen with a greater critical ear as I improve. Guitar and sax are at very opposite ends in terms of discipline. The most important requirements to become great are not equally the same. Such as, mastering perfect intonation and good tone. These are much more vital to great sax playing than they are to guitar playing.

Yeah man! I would settle for that too. Sometimes I'm really pleased with what I play. Mostly I suck.

As to the OP. I too, have guitar abilities based on many years of playing. ( I haven't yet listened to your clips because I'm posting from the road but I will.) I only picked up the sax again on a fluke request from a former band-mate. What's funny is that I get 10 times as many gigs on sax as I do guitar. I'm really working at getting better but I keep waiting for someone to figure out I'm in way over my head. There's very little that can be done but to spend all my free time trying to live up to what my bandmates think I can do. I've seriously considered lessons but I spend my days making music on computers, my "free time" working with my wife's music on various instruments and 3-5 nights a week trying to learn to play sax from various stages. I just don't have time for lessons but I do listen to you guys (and gals) listening suggestions and sound clips and steal "licks". Something that I've been doing a little lately is stealing my own guitar licks. Since I'm already familiar with them, it's a quick pickup.

BTW. I did the sax, guitars, pads, and programming on the music in my sig. The pianist and I wrote it, "on the fly" when we had some high-powered players in the studio for another project. We keep saying we'll finish the project one day but we stalled at 4 songs....

Lately I wish I could be a saxophone player instead of a jack of all trades (master of none) but I hear the "shine" players and know I'll never get to that level. It's depressing actually but playing at any level is so much fun the depression rarely lasts for long....

I've pretty much decided I could be a darn good blues player with a few more years work but that dang jazz stuff is just over my head.
Part of the reason I took up sax is because there's 10 times as many guitar players. It's hard to stand out in the crowd. OTOH, It seams to me on sax you need to be 10 times as good as the next guy to get the gig because they're so few bands left looking to get the horn in the mix. You've lucked out with your connections. All the power to you my friend.

I wish I could play keyboards half as well as I play the sax. And that's about all you need to know about my keyboard playing.
I took some jazz piano lesson many many years ago. It's where all my theory was learned. I wish I kept up with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
That sounds like an American to me. This guy was English believe it or not. crazydaisydoo was his username, i think. Someone probably "released the hounds" or maybe got too many gigs to come on here any more.
Definately not the same guy. Crazydaisydoo was a pretty good player- check him out on youtube.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts