Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how hard would it be to learn everything in Bb instead of Eb? theres five semitones in between what key tenor and alto are in, would it be difficult to learn all the songs again? and would it affect my alto playing? i've seen a jupiter sax going for around 500 pounds,

all advice welcome

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,348 Posts
When I added alto to my soprano (WAY back), I thought it would be a problem. And it was until I figured out the transpositions and all of my scales. Because every saxophone plays the same fingerings, all you have to do is play the tunes in the correct keys for the instrument in your hands. E.g., HAPPY BIRTHDAY in concert (piano) Bb . . . is key of C on tenor/soprano, G on alto/baritone.

If you MUST read, then either obtain the tune in the key appropriate to the horn, write it out yourself, OR learn to transpose by sight. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
I didn't have any transposition problems; I did, however, find it virtually impossible to maintain a decent set of chops for both horns. In my opinion, playing more than one horn is really for advanced players who already have really solid fundamentals in the tone production department.

Just my $.02

Rory

·
Registered
49 Posts
I started with tenor, then bought an alto... then a baritone and sold my tenor. After two years, bought another tenor. Of course, you will have to adapt to the new instrument. You will have to use more power on the tenor (lot of long tones to do). But if you play with ease on all keys, there is no problem to expect. Likely, you will play more in flat keys than in sharps with your eventual tenor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts