Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have a resource or a way to identify Meyer mouthpieces? On Mr. Theo Wanne site there is some confusion, at least for me, on how to tell them apart
Meyer New York USA: Early Model from the late model......

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
The early ones had a more rounded transition from the sidewalls to the chamber. The sidewalls of the later ones meet the chamber with more of an edge present.

Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I realize that it must all come down to experience......but I still am not sure to be able to tell them apart

I had one of the later ones and you could clearly see the line where the sidewalls meet the chamber. I don't think many folks really know there's even a difference. When I sold mine on Ebay (for $650 a year or two ago), not one person even asked.

distinguished member
Grumps said:
I had one of the later ones and you could clearly see the line where the sidewalls meet the chamber. I don't think many folks really know there's even a difference.
And there really ISN'T any tonal difference attributable to this very minor difference between the chamber cavity molds........

Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys especially Grumps, I actually have two 6M.... of what I believe to be the early version, never used, found in a shop as old stock, you say they can fetch how much nowadays? (have they gone down or up in price?)....

When I sold mine for $650 (buy it now), that was about the range. Within a few weeks, I noticed some selling for up to a hundred bucks more, but then the NY/USA's seemed to drop back to around $600 or so. Haven't priced them within the last few months, but I suspect many buy them not even knowing the difference between them and the older Meyer Bros. pieces thinking they're getting a bargain. I'd suggest doing a recent sales search and setting a buy it now at the top of the range. It being a more open 6m might bump the value up a bit for modern players, though the traditionalists favor the 5m.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts