Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just picked up this EL Deford for $150, How do I go about finding the year and model?
I've scoured the web and it's very hard to find any information to identify it. And the only place I find any useful info is here.

it has a b foot, open holes, inline g. feels heavy, so I don't think it's a thinwall, The head says SILVER HEAD, the body has a serial A49888 and underneath that a 6. does that mean it's a model 6? 6B? no idea of model names. the Diamond logo with EL DeFord elkhart underneath.
the tail has a funny round button on the b roller. The corks and pads all look clean, and good.
it's really solid, no dents dings and almost no tarnishing, but really leaky and obviously needs a repad. When I say super hard to play, i mean super hard.
Is it a typically difficult to blow headjoint, or is that just pad/headcork leaks?
Is a repad going to make my cost more than the value of the flute?
Wondering if I got a good deal or not. Advice welcome.

in case.JPG brand stamp.JPG pic1.JPG

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
It is a 6B....sterling silver head, silver plated body. That little key on the foot is the Gizmo. You add it to the highest C4 fingering to enable it to speak. Probably worth around $350 with new pads. The head should be OK, I think it just has leaks. Made sometime in the 1968-82 period.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS BRUCE!!!
just out of curiosity, when this flute is in good shape (maybe not a full overhaul, but at least a repad and maybe headcork) what sort of tone does it have comparatively? I don't see a lot of descriptions, or youtube videos of defords.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I'm a DeFord fan. I play an open hole complete solid silver and the model you have as well. In my opinion that apprasial is low

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, what do you like best about the way they play? I can't really test run mine at the moment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts