Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a complete novice and this is my first post. Over 10 years ago I purchased a secondhand vintage Conn saxophone on EBay, thinking that I was going to learn to fix it up and learn to play it (deluded on my behalf, particularly after the birth of my son)!! After purchasing it I subsequently worked out it was a Conn C Melody. It came with an unusual mouthpiece which is not the original mouthpiece. I believe it is most likely a tenor mouthpiece (as it came with some tenor mouthpiece reeds) rather than a C-Melody. It is a Silver Lay mouthpiece made in France. The markings have inscribed "B.H.B Silver Lay", on the side "M" and "Brevet 614540". Any further information on the maker or value of mouthpiece would be appreciated. I once took it to the a saxophone repairer by the name of "Dr Sax" and he wasn't able identify the maker but thought that it may be worth more than the rest of the Conn C Melody saxophone!
Please see attached photos.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
In the U.S., two well known Los Angeles repairmen (William Naujoks and Everett McLaughlin) partnered to patent and market the identical mouthpiece under the name Sil-Va-Lae in 1921. Henton and Holton were other makers that marketed a similar mouthpiece, so I'm not sure if the patent was ever valid or worth defending.

I've seen a few of them, but have never been interested enough to bid on one. The limitation, from a refacer's point of view, is that the metal insert might limit the ability to modify a small tip opening and zero baffle into something that would sound good by today's standards. More value as a curiousity than as a functional saxophone mouthpiece, although it is guaranteed to give a CMel that vintage CMel sound, i.e., not something of much value by today's standards.

Mark

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
I have had a Kohlert mouthpiece which was very similar if not identical to this.

They are oddities more than anything collectable or usable, very small opening, refacing it would totally destroy originality

They are often found

View attachment 240210
View attachment 240212

1 - 4 of 4 Posts