Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do short gigs, usually one hour, and keep my gear as compact as possible. I try to make only one trip from my car, which accommodates all the gear needed to do the "one man band" thing. My amp already has reverb and EQ, and I'm presently using the Boss HR-2 harmonizer with my sax. I only use it to fatten up the sound a bit, using only a touch of octave above and octave below settings. It seems to be doing the job, but I was wondering if anyone uses something different to enhance the sound. I want something that will remain on for the entire performance. Something that just enhances the sound, so no flangers, chorus, wah-wah, or anything as extreme as that. I know there are "enhancers" and "exciters" in rack units, but I don't know of anything that fits the bill in a small stomp box. Any ideas?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do mainly senior citizen gigs, since there isn't much else going on in the club scene in my area, especially for a sax player. So I do a lot of swing music, bossa nova and other latin, and the usual stuff you would perform for the over the hill crowd (me being one of them!)

I did some searching, and found a box called the Aphex Xciter. The newer version has phantom power built-in, which I can use for my AMT clip-on mic. I may give that a try, but I'm still researching it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,894 Posts
Well since you don't know exactly what you're looking for I'd advice you to go to the nearest guitar store, hook up your sax and just try some pedals. See if there's anything you can use in your music and setup. Maybe a nice delay?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided to just add a mixer to my setup, mounting the small Behringer mixer on the side of the amp. I'm using a 4-channel amp, but only has universal EQ, and no separate tone controls for each channel. Now I will have an extra 4 channels, all with separate EQ adjustment. So in the end, I took the Boss HR-2 out of the mix, and don't really don't have room for pedals. So hopefully the Xenyx preamp will give my horn a good enough sound. I always liked the sound in the past, so I'm hoping the added EQ adjustment and the "British" style preamps, I will be satisfied. Doing a single gig tomorrow. A three hour gig and I will have plenty of time to mess with the adjustments.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I think that the choice of mic has a whole lot to do with your amplified sound. I use a Sennheiser 441 and run it through a small Behringer mixer into the mains. The Xenyx preamps are really clean and sound good for flute and sax. The onboard effects are fine.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use an AMT clip-on mic, and for what I paid for it, it should be good. I don't think the mic is a weak spot in my system. As a matter of fact Brecker/Lovano/Leibman were all using the same mic when I saw them at Birdland, in NYC, although they were using the wireless version.

Anyway, I recorded a gig on Sunday, using the Boss HR-2 harmonizer. Two days later on another gig I added the Behringer 1202FX mixer, and then had the ability to adjust each channel individually. I took the HR-2 out of the setup. I recorded that gig also, and it was 100% better. I think I'll stick with this setup and just fine tune the tone controls for the horn. Both gigs were outside picnics, so obviously the acoustics were pretty much the same on both gigs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts