Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,169 Posts
very nice, especially those instrruements that one never gets to see. I had never seen a Grassi alto flute! Flutes in solid silver and solid gold! Coloured Grassi saxophones! , thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Most instructive....thank you for posting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,191 Posts
Very nice, especially those instruments that one never gets to see. I had never seen a Grassi alto flute! Flutes in solid silver and solid gold! Coloured Grassi saxophones! thanks!
Yes. How about a full boehm clarinet and a Db piccolo? Saxes with rectangular shaped pearls must feel good under the fingers. It's good to confirm Grassi really did make saxes with silver-plated keys like my old Prestige tenor.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Indeed, a whole new lot of overlooked information! Also note the manufacturing plants: Cinisello (MI) and Quarna, so not all their instruments were made in Quarna as I first thought.
Those square pearl Prestige must be rarer than rocking horse s***! I can only guess that if they were as expensive as the later Prestige 80, probably not many were sold at all.

·
39,169 Posts
as far as I know the flutes were made in Cinisello and the saxophones were made in Quarna, I don’t know or I’ve ever seen a clarinet by Grassi

·
Registered
425 Posts
And what about the brass instruments? I didn't even know they made brass. Maybe they just stencilled Orsi made brass and clarinets!

·
39,169 Posts
it’s all very possible, although Rampone did make brass instruments and clarinets and oboes in the good old days! Nevertheless the origins of the Grassi factory were traceable in some Rampone workers from Quarna who went to Cinisello and convinced in the ’60 Lady Ida Maria Grassi ( she was already involved with the supervising the making of flutes for American buyers) to start a company together with them.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Very interesting and nice look at their 1975 world. I was looking at pages 17-19 and it appears that other than the square pearls, dbl high F and silver keys of the "Prestige" model, the "Export" is the exact same professional body and neck. Perhaps I missed some other fine detail though. (I cannot tell if the bell engraving may even be the exact same) This marquee seems quite interesting.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Did anyone save a copy of this brochure? I'd love to see it! Thanks :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,188 Posts
Very interesting. I had missed this thread years ago....

Note they offered the 'ministeriale' version of saxes (pared down keywork, no bis key, no front F, keyed down only to low B) as late as '75.

Note also the Prestige was the top line, then their other lines seem to have been the "Wonderful" and "Export" (?) Both appearing to be what we call the "Jade" today.

I dig the rectangular touches option, BTW.....

·
39,169 Posts
Wonderful was very different from the Jade , you mean Standard and Export ( both pictures published by Manlio Mannisi are of my saxophones)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Has anyone seen a model with rectangular touches lately? :scratch:

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Really cool! Our band in middle school had some of the Grassi saxes from this vintage and I remember the alto playing beautifully. Wish we had the baritone though when I switched to that chair.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts