Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ida Maria Grassi Baritones

I have just bought this old and slightly battered baritone, sounds good and aside from tarnish, a couple of minor dents and some soldering to be done is in reasonable state. Would need an overhaul but not just immediately....to much money spent on horns lately;) . Does anybody have one? Mine should be from the '60 a Mark Vi copy, as far as I can tell.
Any help with the SN?

Registered
Grassi

I have a Grassi baritone, but from their Professional 2000 series which I bought new about 16 years ago. I think the mechanism of that series was based on a MkVI, not sure about older ones - you seem not to have attached any photos.

Good horn, but prefer my Yani 991 - better response and intonation, though maybe a more muted sounds.

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, no I didn't attach any photographs because my horn is at the tech's right now and , while I wait, I wonder about it.
In fact, if I may ask your help, could you please mail me some pictures of the neck? I need to compare them with mine in order to establish if everything I have is completely original.
Measurements (total lenght and tenon diameter, metric, if you don't mind, please) would also be very appreciated.
Much obliged! Regards!

Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice horn Milandro!
Cheers Maarten ! Yes it is a nice old beast. It is currently for sale on Marktplaats in Holland (need some cash for some other horn's projects which I've undertaken in the meantime ) but there hasn't been much interest (het loopt niet storm.... ;)..... pardon my Dutch.....:) ) .

If it doesn't sell I don't actually mind too much :D

Registered
You have my Bari's Twin Sister!! Wow.. Low Bb Same Scroll work. I'm using a Cheapo Rico Royal B7 Mouthpiece on it and it's awesome for street thumping/jamming.

I'm a Tuba/Contrabass Bugle Guy Sax-a-ma-Phone isn't my normal gig. But this horn has an uber rich tone to it. Blends well, plays in tune too.

Best Part is that I own my Horns... :D

Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice to hear that there's someone else out there with this fairly rare horn. I to like it. Does yours have the two bands or rings on the neck? (it has been debated whether these are original or not)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.