Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone recognize the make of this stencil tenor?

Very distinctive and unusual tenon clamp, Selmer-ish table, made in West Germany, serial number in the 9000 range and purchased new in 1960-ish.

Musical instrument Wind instrument Reed instrument Woodwind instrument Audio equipment Musical instrument Wood Brass instrument Wind instrument Musician Wood Engineering Machine Metal Bicycle part

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No photos of the bell engraving ?
It's a friends horn that he sent me a few photos of. The history I'm given is that it was used in a NYC HS Band in 1960. Parts of that horn look more modern than that, but some of it is really old school, like a Buescher stencil of the period.

Dorfler & Jorka?
I think you might have nailed it! Not sure about the double neck though. I'll have to ask if it has one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,409 Posts
Dorfler & Jorka?
looks like one

double neck? I don’t understand this.

The front tenon tightening button was also used by Keilwerth.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,931 Posts
looks like one

double neck? I don’t understand this.

The front tenon tightening button was also used by Keilwerth.
Except Keilwerth had the thumbscrew on the neck...while D&J has it on the receiver.

That is usually the give-away detail as to whether you have a JK or a D&J. Oftentimes in all other respects they can be visually identical....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,931 Posts
It's a friends horn that he sent me a few photos of. The history I'm given is that it was used in a NYC HS Band in 1960. Parts of that horn look more modern than that, but some of it is really old school, like a Buescher stencil of the period.
NYC Board of Ed actually contracted a few European manufacturers back in the day. I have seen the Board of Ed engraving on Schneklaars horns as well (although this as already noted is D&J). So there are probably still some of these floating around out there....

·
Registered
220 Posts
NYC Board of Ed actually contracted a few European manufacturers back in the day. I have seen the Board of Ed engraving on Schneklaars horns as well (although this as already noted is D&J). So there are probably still some of these floating around out there....
Also Dolnet - I have a BelAir with the NYC Bd. of Ed. engraving dated 1966.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,561 Posts
Dörfler & Jörka it is.
Attached is a pic of my horn from around 1950. Beautiful sound, but not the best to explore altissimo with. Will always keep it for studio/mellow sessions.
I had one myself a few years back.
Picked it up for a song.
I repadded it and sold it soon afterward.
I do remember that it was a great sounding horn and not too clunky under the fingers.

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dörfler & Jörka it is.
Attached is a pic of my horn from around 1950. Beautiful sound, but not the best to explore altissimo with. Will always keep it for studio/mellow sessions.
Yeah, that's it. That was the other peculiar thing, the thumb rest carved out for the octave key.

Thanks!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts