Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new here, from London - hello everyone!

I'm looking to buy something along the lines of a wonder, new wonder (chu berry?) or 6M alto preferably silver plate in reasonable condition (but certainly playable).

So far, I have done some research, but I am still unsure as how much I should be looking to pay. Of course I'm aware that there are many factors involved in determining this.

I recently played a chu which I liked very much (barely any plating left, not sure about rolled holes, did have microtuner, don't know serial no. but I'm guessing late 1920's early 30's?). It was going for £800 ($1590 ish) which seems very expensive for this, or am I wrong?

I also tried an overhauled 6M in nice order (gold lacquer mostly there), which I also liked very much; this was going at £1300 ($2590) - again, my subsequent research round here leaeds me to think that this is way too much to pay.... does anyone have any opinion on this?

I have looked here https://www.junkdude.com/ProductGroup.aspx?group=saxophones&id_prodcat=29 to try to get some kind of perspective on US dealer pricing......... there are a number of Conn altos here which are the kind of thing I'm looking for.

These prices seem to be about half what I was looking at here (of course I'd have to factor in VAT/duty and shipping if I were to buy from the states).

I'd love a bit of guidance from you all please both on "best buy" Conns like these, and ballpark values......(Dave dix, I've seen, is also in UK and sounds like he's an expert - I'd love to hear from him as to where I should be going over here, and what I may be looking at in terms of price!)

I hope I haven't rambled....
Many thanks,
Paul

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 6 of 6 Posts