Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this had already been asked many times before, but what fingerings are you guys using for the altissimo F#, G#, and A in the first movement? I'm having trouble getting them clean up to tempo. Also, are you using a forked or regular fingering for the E? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I always use front E3 fingering when I'm heading up into the altissimo.

Many players use many different fingerings in this situation in Ibert, and I myself have used a variety. In general, I don't think the fingerings matter as much as voicing control in the altissimo register.

FWIW, my current fingerings for that run in the Ibert:

E3 - Front E (G2 plus spatula)
F3 - Front F (pick up ring finger)
F#3 - Add side B-flat key
G#3 - Pick up middle finger
A3 - I use just middle and ring finger on left hand with the side B-flat key.

Incidentally, I anchor tongue in the altissimo. This helps me make articulation clean up there.

Angel

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Angel has a good way to do this.

I would just like to add that different horns will respond differently. On my horn, I have to use A3=LH 23 RH 123 to play in tune. Also, because of the structure of my mouth/throat, I anchor tongue in the regular register, and tongue with tongue tip in the altissimo.

Use what works for you and the music.

·
Registered
7 Posts
These are the fingerings I use for this passage.

E - Regular
F - Front
F# - LH123 RH1 High F# Key Low Eb
G# - LH123 RH1 RSK 1 and RSK 2
A - LH23 RSK1

It is a little less common than most but the response is great and it is easy to voice. Good Luck.

Adam

·
Registered
110 Posts
For this run, I use the normal E, F, and high F# fingerings (if your horn has the high F# key) then for the last two I switch to these:

G# left hand 1 and 3, right hand 1 and side C
A left hand 1 and 3, right hand side C (basically just lift rh 1st finger)

This was the fastest way for me to consistently hit the pitches in tune. I used to use front E, F, and F#... but would crack my E often and these fingerings slowed me down for some reason. I do use these fingerings in other situations though :)

·
Distinguished Member
566 Posts
If you choose to slur this passage, which is how the original is indicated, you may find these fingerings to work for you.

E: front E
F: front F
F#: front F plus RSK 1
G#: same as F#, but lift LH 2
A: simply lift remaining LH finger, leaving just the RSK 1

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Kevin said:
If you choose to slur this passage, which is how the original is indicated,
You mean I worked hours on tonguing my altissimo for NOTHING?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Or the Dahl.

Angel

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Karl: That's the most beautiful legit bari sax playing I've ever heard...My buddy Nate drabek wasn't kidding when he told me about a dude at IU who played everything on bari...that was back in the mid 90's...Nice to finally hear you man...

Nitro

·
Musician and Composer
513 Posts
I use the fingerings mentioned by Bari Sax Giant with the exception of High A. I use 23/123 for the high A. I also find, that the pitches speak much more consistently when I use the very tip of my tongue, which helps me to maintain the tongue position (back of the tongue) necessary for the hightones.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm using the fingerings suggested buy Angel except for the high A. For that I'm using LH/23 RH/123. Cleaned things up a bunch and I should be ready to play the Ibert with the altissimo run for my senior recital in May.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
troz99 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm using the fingerings suggested buy Angel except for the high A. For that I'm using LH/23 RH/123. Cleaned things up a bunch and I should be ready to play the Ibert with the altissimo run for my senior recital in May.
Break a leg on your senior recital. I played the Ibert on my senior recital in 1978. Should be a cakewalk for you.:D

:king:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
hakukani said:
Should be a cakewalk for you.:D
Literally in at least one spot...

Angel

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Angel said:
Literally in at least one spot...

Angel
I knew someone would get my little joke.;):)

·
Registered
110 Posts
troz99 said:
Just a suggestion. I would double check the pitch on LH/23 RH/123 because in my experience, that fingering puts the pitch of the altissimo A REALLY high, sometimes almost a quarter step sharp or more. Not that it wont work fine on your horn, but thought I'd just throw that out there. That does seem to be one of the easiest fingerings for A though... just the pitch you gotta worry about. I guess you have to comprimise sometimes in the altissimo register... do you want it in tune? or do you want to garuntee that the pitch will even come out? :cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hakuhani was probably refering to the piece's origins in pre-jazz musics. Gotta love the E7+9 chord the orchestra first plays in the second movement.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Maybe, but there is a moment in the allegro molto portion of the second mvmt that screams cakewalk. I think it's just a treatment of a rhythm, but it's undeniable.

Angel

1 - 20 of 21 Posts