Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=154881909

Ian Kirkham is the sax player with SIMPLY RED and someone to really listen to.

His playing has its moments of crystalline beauty and a lot of killer precision playing. As well as a kind of attractive angularity. But I have to say soulful sound has got my attention. The sound a player gets is the real essence IMHO.

Check out his MY SPACE page and have a listen to him.

Actually, the more I listen to Ian, the more taken I am by what he does. It strikes me that it could be a kind of bridge within musics...something really interesting. I'd like to hear him live too.A player to keep an ear on for sure;)

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,325 Posts
Ian's a great player and a really nice cat. We are friends, and he is using a mouthpiece he got from me. He has played and listened to so much music, and his concept is really interesting and fresh. He is a name that more people should know. Alot of players in the UK already know of him, but guys here in the states should know of him too.
Thanks Tim for putting this up...more people need to hear what Ian has to offer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10mfan said:
Ian's a great player and a really nice cat. We are friends, and he is using a mouthpiece he got from me. He has played and listened to so much music, and his concept is really interesting and fresh. He is a name that more people should know. Alot of players in the UK already know of him, but guys here in the states should know of him too.
Thanks Tim for putting this up...more people need to hear what Ian has to offer.
10M, yup right as always. This guy has some beautiful stuff going- I dig his conception.

10M , glad your doing so well in the sun,:cool: I'm glad for you. You could never play golf in Mass in December huh? LOL;) HAVE FUN!

But Ian is a great one - I hope all check him.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,325 Posts
Golf was possible in December...but you needed to use the pink balls!

If you make it down here, let me know and we'll hang!

....My house is always open to musicians.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have tried to find some music by Ian Kirkham for a long time since I first heard his solos on one early Simply Red album. He plays really well with that band. If I understand his myspace-site correctly, he hasn't yet released a solo album?? In the Simply Red recordings I have heard, there is relatively little space for sax solos, which is understandable for pop music probably... Are there any particular songs or albums that are recommendable to listen more to the sax-parts?
Greetings

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Tim Price said:
Am I missing something? I have been waiting for some sounds on his myspace since forever and still don't hear any.

Anyways, If anybody needs a starting point, one track for two stunning solos is 'how could I fall' from the album Stars.

EDIT** If you think of Michael Brecker in terms of a comercial sideman, Ian is probably the love chid of him and Wilton Felder. :D

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Saxlicker said:
Am I missing something? I have been waiting for some sounds on his myspace since forever and still don't hear any.

Anyways, If anybody needs a starting point, one track for two stunning solos is 'how could I fall' from the album Stars.
Likewise; in terms of listening, there's no there there.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I think there is no music there on his "myspace", I spent about 15-20 minutes clicking on various items without finding any music :)

Yes, the saxophone on "How could I fall" sounds nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts