Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new old C Mel coming that I bought from a member here. Can't wait.

Several folks recommend the Morgan mpc available from junkdude, but I wonder which size would be best. It's available in 4, 5, and 6.

On tenor I play a Tenney slant 7* and a Barone Jazz 8.
On alto I play a Morgan 7

Interestingly, the Morgan mpc, if I buy one, will cost 2/3 what I paid for the sax itself.

I have a boxfull of tenor pieces to try first.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I myself play a Morgan 6 on my C Mel, and I think it was deffinitly worth the investment!

Before I bought it though, I played an alto stock Link STM 7. It sounded pretty good! The larger chamber of the Link does better on the C Mel than on the alto.

But, the Morgan really freed up the sound and made it a lot less stuffy than any other mouthpieces I tried. Deffinitly look into one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Al Stevens said:
.......I have a boxfull of tenor pieces to try first.
Most of which will probably make the C-Mel sound 'tenorish', great if (like me) that's the sound you want. It is a trade-off against sound and intonation, often an annoyance that the best sounding mouthpiece isn't always the one with best tuning...

Having settled (well, for the moment anyway) on a slim Couf tenor piece as ideal for me, I just wish one of the C-Mel 'Morgan' advocates would record a sound sample with their setup. Great praise is often lavished, but, apart from buying a Morgan to try myself, I have yet to hear a C-Mel one 'in the flesh'. :(

Good luck Al, and c'mon guys, how about a Morgan/C-Mel sound-bite ? Don't be shy :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,578 Posts
The Morgan is definitely tenorish. In fact, other than the shortened shank, the one I had was indistinguishable (by me) from one of his tenor pieces. I played a big band rehearsal on it (on tenor) and it worked just fine -no pitch problems, no response problems, etc.

I have used Otto Link tenor pieces and Couf tenor pieces on C-mel with good results.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
For C Melody, a starting point would be to figure the tip of the alto mpc you use and the tenor you use and estimate half way in between. If you use a .075 on alto and a .095 on tenor (as I do), then a .085 could be a good starting point. Not a fact, just a start.

·
2,057 Posts

·
2,057 Posts
Well, I didn't think my playing was so bad it'd kill the topic...:(

How's it going with the "boxfull of tenor pieces..." Al ? Thrown any out of the window yet ? Or the C-Mel ? :)

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I played a Bari WTII (maybe 6/7?) on a Buescher C melody for a while and it worked really well . Much preferred it to my vintage C mel piece which some say you must have and on which the morgan pieces are presumably based (??) I would try a couple of Bb tenor m/ps first to see if they match at all.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cmelodysax said:
How's it going with the "boxfull of tenor pieces..." Al ? Thrown any out of the window yet ? Or the C-Mel ? :)
I haven't started. The c-mel isn't here yet. I'll let you know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
The best sounding and responding piece I've played on my Buescher TT C-Mel is an Metal Selmer Alto #6 mouthpiece. It really opens the horn up and make it a joy to play. Intonation isn't that bad either. The original mouthpiece makes the horn sound like it is playing through an old AM radio; kind of buzzy and dead.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had the C-mel for several days now. I've tried every tenor and alto piece I have on it. The C-mel piece that came with it is a dog. I can't sound the low notes with it.

It seems to play best with alto pieces, and I have a Dave Knox 6 that seems to fit well.

I'm having fun with it. It's tough getting used to holding a sax like the guy in my avatar.

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
Rather than name off specific makes/models, a general rule is that the smaller bore tenor, or larger bore alto MPs will generally yield the best results. Short of buying a mouthpiece specifically designed for the C-Melody mind you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,936 Posts
I'm currently using a Dukoff D7 tenor with a plasticover 3.5 and a heater hose clamp ligature on my Buescher TT. It sounds great, is in tune and I can do anything with it that I can do on my VI tenor. I've tried a couple of alto mpcs and had no luck.

·
2,057 Posts
Michael - I've heard tell that the intonation on a MkVI can vary, glad to hear it's as good as a Buescher C-Mel... :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts