Sax on the Web Forum banner

I Won!

4K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Saxplayer67 
#1 ·
Today (Saturday 11th August) I took part in the Maidstone Buskers Festival 2007. Various buskers - mainly guitarist-singers but also a blind accordionist and a guy on electric guitar playing to recordings of Mozart and Bach (very cool!) played in a revolving circuit of various places in town (I made £25 from passersby).

The final was held at a bandstand (where I've played for Christmas events before) and the judges were the deputy mayor and other dignatories. I won first prize (a paying gig at a local restaurant - two runners up won the same). I was also approached by the landlady of a pub near the bandstand who wants me to play for the opening of her beer garden and also regular gigs in her jazz evenings. :cool:

#2 ·
Right on man! Way to go!

Tell us more. What song(s) did you play?

Rory

#3 ·
rleitch said:
Right on man! Way to go!

Tell us more. What song(s) did you play?

Rory
Thanks Rory my man!

I played (In alphabetical order, not playing order):-

A Day in the Life Of a Fool
Angels
Birdland
Cry Me a River
Emily
Eternal Flame
Fascinating Rhythm
God Bless the Child
He Ain't Heavy… He's My Brother
I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free
Imagine
Killing Me Softly with His Song*
Livin' La Vida Loca**
Misty*
Moonglow
My Funny Valentine
Nights in White Satin
Round Midnight
The Wind Beneath My Wings*
Unchained Melody
Without You*
Wonderful Tonight

And a few James Bond songs - Goldfinger, Diamonds are Forever, The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only.

For the final in front of a panel of judges, I went for * (all bar one I had played whilst busking during the day) and as the winner, I was asked to play another tune, which was **. I had one request earlier in the day, for Wind Beneath My Wings (and requested again by one of the other buskers for my judged performance) and after I had finished, the lady, in her late sixties I guess, was very tearful - in a good way of course! For the final, the PA guy asked me about miking the sax and I said no, just my backing tracks and I played unplugged, as I prefer to do.

#5 ·
Thanks, guys and gals!

Not got video footage of anything but have got some okayish photos. Check out my link to MySpace.

To top it all, when I got home, there was a message from the organiser of a historical street festival I'm already booked to do (meaning no music more recent than 1945). They've been let down and need someone to lead their procession and they want me to do it. So first thing I did was order a lyre for my sax and now to find suitable marching music and format it for small paper!

#11 ·
Saxplayer: Like that new avatar! But I'm going to miss the old one as it was so full of comic potential. But you're a Star Trek fan are you? Hmm...:twisted: ;) . Seriously: i'd always assumed you were considerably younger than you actually are - must be you "naiive enthusiasm" in all things saxophone. A very enviable quality, i should say. All the best.

#13 ·
Rooty, I been playing sax for twelve years now and teaching it in spare time for over four! Enthusiasm not just for sax but for music in general - if naivety means open to new possibilities and ideas, then yes.

Mike, I played alto, not tenor and I stayed with my Meyer HR 6M - it's flexible enough for all styles of playing. The Dukoff I still need to find the mouse.

#14 ·
Oh man, this is unreal!

Today I had a call from the local paper, just checking the spelling of my name for their writeup of the event. Then I get a call from a local radio station! I'm going in tomorrow to be interviewed and to play my sax (it won't be broadcast live but recorded)! My jaw can't fall open any further... :shock:

#15 ·
Okay, sorry to keep extending this thread but I did the radio interview today (and played a couple of numbers). They're broadcasting the interview this Friday, 17th August at 1.00pm UK time, on 105.6FM (for those in the region) and they also broadcast online in the UK. The station is CTR Maidstone.

#16 ·
Saxplayer67 said:
Avatar changed! This was a watercolour done of a photo of me and students from a photograph, for my 38th birthday. The artist added some Star Trek touches, like Vulcan ears and Next Generation uniforms.
Are you by any chance trying your own equivalent of a Vulcan Mind Meld by bumping this thread, Saxplayer? :twisted: ;) Seriously: well done with the radio show and thnks for posting the details. All the best.

#19 ·
Face Ache Mike said:
Aaarrgh I`ll be away from the internet and I`m not in your area to receive it by radio so... any chance someone could record this and let us all hear it?
Our IT man at work will use his streamripper software - the station uses Winamp. He did say though that he has a poor memory, so I'll have to remind him...

I did ask the station to send me a copy as well but I'm trying to cover all bases.

#21 · (Edited)
Face Ache Mike said:
I rushed home and got the radio station online by 105pm but then got called away to do something important (well, fixing a broken washing machine is important to the Mrs I suppose).

Looking forward, or should that be listening forward to hearing the recording :)
They didn't broadcast it, as a news story came in. My fiance called them and they said they're broadcasting it tomorrow (Saturday) every hour on their news slot. Nevertheless they'll send me a disc.

Anyway, for now here's a scan of the newspaper writeup - you can just see the cracks on the camera lens of my photo! :D

#22 ·
Gig Date At Last

I could have started a new thread but decided to bump this old one up instead. My prize paying gig for winning was, if you recall, donated by a local restaurant. Well, I - and the two runners up - have all been given the runaround (seems to us the owner only wanted free advertising for his establishment!) but finally I am scheduled to play the place on Saturday 13th October at 7pm. So if any forum members are in the UK and fairly local, Flaming Henrys in Maidstone High Street is the venue (www.flaminghenrys.com), please feel free to pop along. Sure you can just prop up the bar unless you want to partake of their culinary delights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.