Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, being a novice in the saxophone area of equipment, asked the sales guy:
"If I am going for a darker, jazzier tone, which reed would you recommend?"
He suggested Rico Hemke. I use the 2.5 strength.
As these reeds are fine, I asked my friend, who plays alto as well, to let me try one of his JAva reds, in the 3 strength.
I have to say I did like this reed better.
THe question becomes what about Jazz selects? Other brands? I felt, maybe my ears decieve me, that this reed had a fuller sound,fatter if you will.

Any recommendations? As of tommorow, or so, I will be getting my Phil Tone MEyer in the 5m chamber size.

Maybe it came today, haven't checked the mail yet....

I like the tonal concept of Shorter,Dexter Gordon, and Art pepper being main influences on the sound I am going for. I know dex is tenor, and shorter as well. The overall tone of smooth, dark, and robust...like a good red wine...

Any help in this is greatly appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Those Hemke reeds play well and the one's I've tried on Links sound great. But they don't seem to last too long. Just about the time I would really get one broke in, it would start getting kind of limp. But I'm sure that's going to depend a lot on player. If you normally use a 2.5, you might want to try a 3 in the Hemke.

I'm a fairly big fan of Vandoren classics. And those seem to help promote a dark sound if you have a dark setup. At least they are fairly neutral on the bright/dark issue.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks. Yeah maybe stepping up a size might change that. I just felt Reds sound fuller, but this will all change once I get the new peice. Just mainly speaking in generalities

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Those Hemke reeds play well and the one's I've tried on Links sound great. But they don't seem to last too long. Just about the time I would really get one broke in, it would start getting kind of limp. But I'm sure that's going to depend a lot on player. If you normally use a 2.5, you might want to try a 3 in the Hemke.
Me too. I think Hemke's are a great deal, and work really well with Links. The tips are very thin, but the life can be prolonged quite a bit if you play a few in rotation and learn to use a reed clipper.

Good to hear a +ve salesman story!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not on a link, but maybe you guys where thinking of yourselves.
I use, or will use the Hard Rubber meyer style phil tone.
Maybe stepping up a size might be the way to go instead of changing reeds at this juncture.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
You wanted a darker sound, right? IMO a Hemke is darker than a Java.
I used to play Hemkes exclusively - they were my primary classical as well as jszz reed - but I agree that they seem to have a shorter life than others.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I found that the Hemkes that i tried did not work very well with my Meyer. It produced a very thin and weak tone.

However, the Javas were worked wonders.

JJ

·
1,597 Posts
I haven't seen any lately, but someone used to sell reed assortments on Ebay. It would have 2-3 each of several different brands in similar strengths to make sampling much cheaper. I loved the idea, but haven't seen those auctions lately.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True, gary I am going for a darker sound. I seem to, personally, get good response from the Hemkes. I do like the tone, Just they do not last forever, but its like sticks, you know. I though if I went to one of these Java reds or Jazz select it might be what Im after. I'll check that chart to as well. These may be things you all have known about for years, I appreciate the responses. One one hand I could tell you anything about drums, in this I am still a novice, and my questions are answered with respect to that. Thanks guys.

·
2,640 Posts
True, gary I am going for a darker sound. I seem to, personally, get good response from the Hemkes. I do like the tone, Just they do not last forever, but its like sticks, you know. I though if I went to one of these Java reds or Jazz select it might be what Im after. I'll check that chart to as well. These may be things you all have known about for years, I appreciate the responses. One one hand I could tell you anything about drums, in this I am still a novice, and my questions are answered with respect to that. Thanks guys.
All that drumming will be a great advantage to you as your horn playing gets better. Good Luck!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Generally you get a darker sound when theres more heart in the reed, and that usually occurs with harder reeds of any make. LaVoz and Zondas seem to have a better heart/strength ratio, based on my experiences. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks cl! I was thinking of picking up a single La voz, a 3 strength Hemke , and trying those on the horn and see from there. Thanks for all the comments guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts