Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
Sax, Flute, Keyboard, Vocal
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had spent a couple of hours trying all their altos and found a few good but no wow factor for the 3000 prices. So out of curiosity I tryed a couple flutes there. Someting used (armstrong heratage) no then a Di ZAHO 700. I had had a 500 a few years ago as my first step up flute but wan't expecting much. The tone was almost as full as the powell sonore and wooden head (roger young) so that was nice. But after a short time I realized , this is the best most rounded harmonic tone I 've ever had. So I plunked down the 2000 and bought it. I was afraid to try it at home and not get the wow factor but I do like it. Also first leather case and wooden flute case for me . For the price I'm exstatic. I may or may not sell the powell. What the hell. Happy> K (interested to see what Katissee says at my next lesson) K

7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and more importantly , I think this would be a wonderful step up flute for one of my students. Not this one, she can buy her own. K

· Registered
4,373 Posts
I nearly bought a heavy-walled Di Zhao Handmade when I got my Muramatsu last spring. Very nice flutes especially in the lower range. I was surprised how much air I could put into it while playing the low D-B without the notes breaking or jumping up an octave. These flutes seem to "punch above their weight" at any given price point. My only concern was how well they hold regulation as there few long term reviews.

· SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Congrats K on the new Axe..looking at the Di Zhao myself, I am thinking I don't need all Sterling as I play my flute a lot, sometimes in rough conditions, the 400 might be a good one for me. I see the maker worked with Haynes and Powell..I know the headjoint is the key to best sound anyway.

· Registered
3,200 Posts
Cool. When I was shopping for a flute a few years ago, Di zhao was on my list. I ended up finding a used Yamaha 561 instead, but everything I researched referenced the di zhao as a great option.

7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was at Tims music. They were wonderful as I tried every alto they had and a couple I liked I tried in a bigger stage type room to hear it loud like a gig. This Di zaho really has a sweet tone that I was annoyed when I picked up my Powell , was gone. a sweetness in the overall tone (overtones?) So I couldn't pass on it. The Alto I liked alot there was a Cannonball Vintage alto. It was their idea of the Mk 6 tone. It was better than my 82Z but not 3000 dollars better. I tried a good Keilwerth, several Cannonballs, a balanced action, a very cool off chinese brand Charlete or something like that. If my horn were stolen I could get that horn for 1600 and come close to my sound. Its all good Im glad I went . I didn'ttrty any alto flutes. I need much more work on this C flute. My duet partners will love this tone. We will blend well K

· Finally Distinguished
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
3,695 Posts

· Finally Distinguished
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
3,695 Posts
I was at Tims music. They were wonderful as I tried every alto they had and a couple I liked I tried in a bigger stage type room to hear it loud like a gig. This Di zaho really has a sweet tone that I was annoyed when I picked up my Powell , was gone. a sweetness in the overall tone (overtones?) So I couldn't pass on it. The Alto I liked alot there was a Cannonball Vintage alto. It was their idea of the Mk 6 tone. It was better than my 82Z but not 3000 dollars better. I tried a good Keilwerth, several Cannonballs, a balanced action, a very cool off chinese brand Charlete or something like that. If my horn were stolen I could get that horn for 1600 and come close to my sound. Its all good Im glad I went . I didn'ttrty any alto flutes. I need much more work on this C flute. My duet partners will love this tone. We will blend well K
Sure the Charlete wasn't a Chateau? I tried a Chateau Tenor there and was impressed.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,762 Posts
Either I misread the post title or the OP edited it after I asked. I'm known to read stuff and miss a word or two.
Just messing with you.

Think about it. K wrote that he was trying out altos, and ended up buying a flute. Tim's Music has an "Ali Ryerson" alto flute on the wall next to the C-flutes.

7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I should have been more detailed. I tried all their alto saxes. Alto flute is far away from my radar for now K

7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And Doc it was a spur of the moment thing me going out there . I should have contacted you and used your ears to help me sift through all the trials. for the Altos the Cannonball Reborn was the best and Chateau second best for my needs. If my 82Z got destroyed I could easly use either of those. But flutes I only tried two and the Di Zaho had such a sweeter/more complex tone than my Powell it was worth the 2K I spent. I did tell a flute teacher friend of mine about that Di Zaho and she said they tend to vary horn to horn so she stopped recommneding them to her students. But mine is great. Its nice to hear an immediate difference. K

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.