Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It had been at least a decade since last watching all 10 episodes of the Burns documentary "JAZZ."

It has helped me understand (again) why it is that I always return to playing jazz after drifting in and out of blues, rock and folk bands.

FREEDOM and HERITAGE.

To all those out there feeling lost and struggling with our art, KEEP BLOWIN' OVER THE CHANGES.

B:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
Amen, brother.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
Yeah, I liked The Civil War for entertainment value (as he played fast and loose with many details), but with Jazz Burns missed the point entirely. Rather than celebrate how the music brought different races together like no law or social program ever could, he focused on the disparity. And then there was Wynton...

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
I liked it so much I bought the box set. I'm also a fan of the Ken Burns Civil War opus. As a great watcher of documentaries it's interesting to me to see the effect the Burns style has had on general documentary film making - the juxtaposition of arresting images with readings of well-chosen contemporary documents, interspersed with well edited expert commentary. Just terrific.

Oh, and by the way, just because I'm a fan doesn't mean I don't have issues with content - but they're, on the whole, minor issues.

·
25,985 Posts
As a great watcher of documentaries it's interesting to me to see the effect the Burns style has had on general documentary film making - the juxtaposition of arresting images with readings of well-chosen contemporary documents, interspersed with well edited expert commentary. Just terrific.
Yes! Much better than guys in costumes acting it out. He changed the genre for the better in that regard. Ever see the one his brother Ric (who collaborated on The Civil War) did about the Donner Party? That's a good one if you can catch it. A real feast for the eyes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
This is hilarious btw, it's a parody of ken burns' style

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
I played the entire documentary in my Music Appreciation class. I think they 'got' it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
I like old jazz, but I thought there was too much disparity between the excitement and magnitude of the stuff coming out of Wynton's mouth compared to the rinky-dinky-ness of the music that was playing. I got worn out by all the superlatives.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really do not understand the dislike of Wynton. I personally think he loves his craft and can outplay most anybody out there so what's the big fuss with his superlatives? He is the living embodiment of jazz can't we just dig it. B

·
25,985 Posts
He is the living embodiment of jazz can't we just dig it.
That's what they seemed to be pushing, and that's probably why his segments didn't work in the film. Think about it. If you edited out everything he said and did, the film wouldn't be lacking for it. I have nothing against him otherwise, but I grimaced every time he came on in this film.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
I really do not understand the dislike of Wynton. I personally think he loves his craft and can outplay most anybody out there so what's the big fuss with his superlatives? He is the living embodiment of jazz can't we just dig it. B
Wynton Marsalis and how to kill the last remaining signs of life of jazz : call it "American classical music". (I don't know if he invented the title but it's often rightly associated with him)

People dislike Marsalis' approach because it's unable to acknowledge the ever changing nature of jazz.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I've been actually reading the book lately.....and it is AWESOME..... much easier to swallow than the drawn out docu series...... it also includes many of the glaring OMISSIONS from the films

and guess what?? its not written by Wynton or Stanley Crouch,or .............

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wynton Marsalis and how to kill the last remaining signs of life of jazz : call it "American classical music". (I don't know if he invented the title but it's often rightly associated with him)

People dislike Marsalis' approach because it's unable to acknowledge the ever changing nature of jazz.
This makes absolutely no sense to me. Can you reiterate this? B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
that's the point modman....
on the surface Wynton is BRILLIANT!!! everything ive ever seen...and even talking to him...exudes someone preaching the gospel...

...its what he's not saying that is the problem and to many he's railroading the masses ....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts