Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've played low Bb baris for years, never owned a low A horn. I've had a Martin Official Music Man Model, a King Zephyr, Conn 12M, and currently a 5 digit Selmer Mark VI that I love, but I've been thinking about these horns for low A work for quite some time.

I'd love to try one before I starting looking to but one of my own, either a Keilwerth/Couf/related stencils horns but I haven't seen one in my area ever (central Ohio)

Thanks for your help! I'd also love to try a Keilwerth/Couf Bass Sax, but that's a different thread!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I sold a Couf Low A a couple years ago, but I really wish I hadn't. It was by far the most lush and powerful bari I have ever tried. Good luck finding one though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,915 Posts
Martin, did you ever try a Couf Low A? I actually own a Superba II stencil bari. Too bad that this is an old thread that I just caught. I was in Hilliard and Dayton last month, and stopped by the Music and Arts store in Columbus before coming back to Pittsburgh. Currently working on another gig out your way, but do not have a set date yet. If you'd be interested in meeting up and trying my Armstrong 3070A next time I'm in the area, send me a PM.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,571 Posts
There's a Couf Bb on eBay for cheap. I was going to bid but just won a Mark VI for cheap
How much is “cheap” these days? I have a feeling that I still couldn’t afford it.

·
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,915 Posts
How much is “cheap” these days? I have a feeling that I still couldn’t afford it.
The low A's go for $1500 to $2000 depending upon condition. If Couf follows the rules of every other bari I've seen, then a low Bb ought to be significantly less.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,400 Posts
Low A Keiwerth or Couf for $2000, that would be a lot less that we in Europe where there are more buy or sell them. If you can find them over there you should buy them and sell them in Europe where nobody seriously selld any low A for less than €1500 (which was the price of a Weltklang I sold last year)

I have sold several low Bb Keilwerths and all for more than €1200

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I recently compared a low A Keilwerth bari to my own Grassi low A. Both the seller and me agreed that my Grassi actually sounded better, especially in the upper registers.

In terms of ergonomics, they're both older designs, with their pros and cons. In terms of build quality, the Keilwerth looked really nice, and I loved the nickel plating. Gives it a kind of industrial look.

In the end, I didn't buy it, because it didn't feel like an improvement over my current bari.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Martin, did you ever try a Couf Low A? I actually own a Superba II stencil bari. Too bad that this is an old thread that I just caught. I was in Hilliard and Dayton last month, and stopped by the Music and Arts store in Columbus before coming back to Pittsburgh. Currently working on another gig out your way, but do not have a set date yet. If you'd be interested in meeting up and trying my Armstrong 3070A next time I'm in the area, send me a PM.
PM Sent!

·
Registered
65 Posts
There's a Couf Bb on eBay for cheap. I was going to bid but just won a Mark VI for cheap
I ended up buying it for $700 shipped, but it was titled "couf super ba berry sax", so it wasn't obvious. It definitely needs work but almost plays as is. I sold my low A couf a few years ago for $2000 and the pads were playable but not new.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,571 Posts
I ended up buying it for $700 shipped, but it was titled "couf super ba berry sax", so it wasn't obvious. It definitely needs work but almost plays as is. I sold my low A couf a few years ago for $2000 and the pads were playable but not new.
Thanks for the response. I hope you have a good tech that works for not much. I don't recall if you are experienced in repair.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No problem. I have a friend who's a tech who actually wants to buy it from me, but I'm not sure I want to sell it. I just got a Mark VI bari but couldn't pass up the deal. The Mark VI is in playing condition, but the sound quality, playability, intonation, etc of it aren't superior to the Couf. The Mark VI. sounds cleaner, but the dirtiness of the Couf is pleasing. The Selmer is noticeably lighter though, which to me is significant.

·
4,915 Posts
No problem. I have a friend who's a tech who actually wants to buy it from me, but I'm not sure I want to sell it. I just got a Mark VI bari but couldn't pass up the deal. The Mark VI is in playing condition, but the sound quality, playability, intonation, etc of it aren't superior to the Couf. The Mark VI. sounds cleaner, but the dirtiness of the Couf is pleasing. The Selmer is noticeably lighter though, which to me is significant.
Agreed on the "dirtiness", particularly in the upper register. JK baris seem to break apart a bit when you push them. Almost like a split tone quality. However a jazz bassist I work with, who was also a sax major up until his latter years in college, noted that the tone can also be extremely focused when you direct your airstream in that way. They're versatile horns, but the ergos are a bit more cumbersome than the Selmer and Japanese offerings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agreed on the "dirtiness", particularly in the upper register. JK baris seem to break apart a bit when you push them. Almost like a split tone quality. However a jazz bassist I work with, who was also a sax major up until his latter years in college, noted that the tone can also be extremely focused when you direct your airstream in that way. They're versatile horns, but the ergos are a bit more cumbersome than the Selmer and Japanese offerings.
Yeah, I feel like the Selmer keywork will be more comfortable once I get used to it, but the pinky table sits up higher and at a sharper angle than I'm used to at the moment. Once I get a feel for it though, it seems like it would be preferable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts