Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my recent travels to Japan again I was fortunate enough to connect with a couple of musicans who told me of a satin silver custom Yamaha that they stated was the ultimate horn. I thought they were pulling my leg until I came across a player using one of these. I have never seen these before in my life nor did I expect a dark sound I was hearing like a 5 digit Mark VI.

After asking half the people in the music industry in Japan I finally came a person who had one on display. WOW!!! After playing for 5 mins, my jaw dropped to the floor. WOW!!!

I asked how these sounded so different? The shop owner told me these are different to the normal production series Yamaha's and are made the old fashion way, hand beaten etc and are custom made by yamaha for Miki Gakki. It appears that he must be the son in law to Yamaha's president. This was the good news.

The bad news is I had to wait nearly year to get one due to the waiting list as he would not sell me the one on display. Doh!

Has anyone else come across these horns and had similar experience. These appear to be the Japanese "Mark VI" and being use a the preferred horn amongst many of the professional Jazz musicans in Japan...

Attached link is a picture of the instrument for your reference.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...rl=http://www.miki.co.jp/pages/sax2/sax2.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those who were asking, Miki music shop address is 大阪市中央区心斎橋筋1-9-4 パルコ南隣. If you've visited shinsaibashi before, you can find the shop easily cause it is located at the main street.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone have one they want to trade?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
doesn't have all the features of the japan horn. thumb rest for left and right are different and body to bell brace is different.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
I played a satin silver YAS-82z. It was a nice horn, and I liked it a little better than the Ref 54 alto, but there was nothing too exceptional about it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm sort of new so forgive me if this is a dumb question. So you guys are saying that the custom series is not hand made? Also this might be out of topic, but have you guys heard any news about the 875ex changing or anything? Because there is barely anything about the 875ex.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I believe Mike Lutely is one of the US Custom Shop techs. The Limited Ed Z's were all supposed to be setup by him. As far as the thumb hook/rest goes- I believe that Greg Vail has referred to some alternate designs by Yamaha in the past which greatly effected the sound and response of the horn, but I have never heard where these can be purchased. Maybe this Japanese horn is just a Limited Custom Z with some alternate hardware and a soldered-on bell? I would imagine that any Z given the Tenor Madness treatment (or other equivalent) would be 99% as good.

·
Registered
285 Posts
What's the Yen conversion rate on that in dollars? And where is the tenor version.

BN, it looks as though you have quite a nice collection of horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
From my experiences with the Yen, just move the decimal over two places to the left (divide by 100). Gives a price of about $4,000 US, give or take.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The EX is not not due to change anytime soon. It will be another 4-5 years before they revamp it. The EX is an entirely hand hammered horn though, as someone asked.

The G2 neck is a prototype that Yamaha has had out for a while, but has not going completely in to production. I play a gold plated one, and love it!! The response and sound is different, but I really like it. It seems more focused to my ear. It is odd that they show a G2 on tenor though; I have not run across one of those; but the G3 tenor is amazing as well.

Steve P

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks Steve P for the info. Bob Franceschini of Mike Stern plays one on his 82Z.

·
Registered
86 Posts
im play testing an EX that has the same finish. I didn't even know there were satin silver EX's floating around...only one Ive ever seen...

·
Registered
86 Posts
while I would love to shell out the cash for the GP and join that elite group of GP players, I think I'm going to have to go with two altos and a flute over just one alto...maybe when the EX is remodeled in 2012 I'll dive into debt for that GP horn. That satin silver horn is pretty nice, although I can't decide if I really like the sound it has. The store I have borrowed it from has had it for over a year now, and no one has owned it, and the guy is selling it for only 2800. Sounds like a good deal, but we'll have to see.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,522 Posts
Nate94 said:
I can't decide if I really like the sound it has. The store I have borrowed it from has had it for over a year now, and no one has owned it, and the guy is selling it for only 2800. Sounds like a good deal, but we'll have to see.
If you don't like the sound, it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree on every level. The trouble is that when I say I don't know if I really like the sound, I also don't know if I dislike the sound. With some more dedicated play testing with different mp/reed combos I should be able to make a decision. As it stands right now, I don't think I'll be getting it. I think Im going to go with either another black EX or a clear lacquer EX and also Im gonna pick up a new UL 82 Z, don't know if I'll go with a WOF or not, but some more reading of this topic should help! Thanks for the advice Dr G!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts