Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all

I have a scoop bill step baffle offset ss berg. It's a 90/2. I wanted a larger tip opening and a higher baffle originally, but I found this one on ebay for $40 so I figured what the hell (I know, ebay is risky). I got the mouthpiece and I love the sound out of it, but it definitely has some issues. First of all, the damn thing squeaks in the upper register waaaay too often and it is ridiculously reed picky. DJS 2H's are all it will play with. Also, I feel like I need to use an excessive amount of pressure to get the reed to seal with this MP so I am thinking the table may be uneven. Does it sound like this mouthpiece needs a reface? I'm not sure. If it does I'll almost certainly do it even if it costs more since it is stainless steel since I only have $40 into it.

Thanks,
Nic

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Hey Y'all

I have a scoop bill step baffle offset ss berg. It's a 90/2. I wanted a larger tip opening and a higher baffle originally, but I found this one on ebay for $40 so I figured what the hell (I know, ebay is risky). I got the mouthpiece and I love the sound out of it, but it definitely has some issues. First of all, the damn thing squeaks in the upper register waaaay too often and it is ridiculously reed picky. DJS 2H's are all it will play with. Also, I feel like I need to use an excessive amount of pressure to get the reed to seal with this MP so I am thinking the table may be uneven. Does it sound like this mouthpiece needs a reface? I'm not sure. If it does I'll almost certainly do it even if it costs more since it is stainless steel since I only have $40 into it.

Thanks,
Nic
It probably needs to be replaced, not refaced. The facings on Bergs can be awfully long and that's a lot of work to fix and will dramatically change the way the piece plays and will squeak even worse with a shorter facing. The baffle is probably too high at the tip which is causing the squeaking. Just unload it. Phil Barone

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,712 Posts
If you want a berg you should get a HR piece. They can be refaced and worked on. Its pretty standard work.

Doing a lot to stainless? Get out the checkbook. Its gonna cost double of hard rubber and you are not going to get anyone that isnt half crazy to open it more than .005 or .010.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It probably needs to be replaced, not refaced. The facings on Bergs can be awfully long and that's a lot of work to fix and will dramatically change the way the piece plays and will squeak even worse with a shorter facing. The baffle is probably too high at the tip which is causing the squeaking. Just unload it. Phil Barone
Damn. I was hoping the piece could be salvaged but I kind of expected it had too many issues. I'll look elsewhere. Maybe a boutique piece like a Warburton. I like my STM but wish it had more edge anyway so those might be a good fit.

Thanks for the advice and saving me some money

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want a berg you should get a HR piece. They can be refaced and worked on. Its pretty standard work.

Doing a lot to stainless? Get out the checkbook. Its gonna cost double of hard rubber and you are not going to get anyone that isnt half crazy to open it more than .005 or .010.
I haven't played an HR in years cause I've just preferred the feel of metal. I'll look into those HR Bergs though I hadn't really thought of that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
have you thought about getting a baffle into your STM? MojoBari has a video on youtube where he makes a removable baffle for a link.

I've got a HR Berg 110/2 for my tenor. It's one piece that I've always hung onto, very versatile and is capable of being edgy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up ordering some new mouthpieces from Saxquest rather than dumping more money into a defective mouthpiece, and since I've only really had the opportunity to heavily about 4 or 5 different MP's. I bought 4 to try. A Vintage Wolf Tayne 7, Jody Jazz Jet 7*, Runyon XL 9 (played a lot like the Berg) and a Warburton LA 8*. The Warburton played a lot like a link but I found it to be more versatile and had more edge and color. I think I definitely lean more towards the Link style of piece. It was fantastic. I'm planning on doing a write up with some sound bytes for these pieces.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi
I am for sure no expert I dropped my Yamaha 4c and broke it. Music store guy told me to get a Hite Premier for a little more money. It came in the mail could not get it to work layed a reed on it could see underneath it. I took a piece of glass and some 600 grit then finished up with 1200 grit. The thing works just fine now the tip opening is a little tiny bit smaller but for me that seemed to help I can play my excerises with ease now.
Regards
Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts