Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some long tone work and simple Klose things on soprano just to keep it up for the 4 or so numbers our band does using soprano. But a clarinet friend of mine doubling on Oboe suggested this as a possible thing to work up for church. I like it alot. I think I will spend the time to get it together K

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Study of a true classic is always a great investment. What a wonderful opportunity for personal growth. Keep us posted.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
Beautiful piece. It should play well in a church setting.
Make a Joyful Noise!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
How high does the range go? Do you, or the sax, have enough notes up top? No fair cheating Wolfgang.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Just a thought: You could practice the flute-version of this piece, which is in D major and your piano player could play the oboe version in C-major. So no transposing work (except some octave switches - of course) has to be done.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Just a thought: You could practice the flute-version of this piece, which is in D major and your piano player could play the oboe version in C-major. So no transposing work (except some octave switches - of course) has to be done.
Wow, this never occurred to me. I will keep this in mind for when I learn this concerto! Many thanks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
You should play on C soprano! Then no transposing anywhere! :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
We played the Oboe Concerto in saxophone ensemble with my teacher in Lyon, JD Michat, this year. Works really well. There should be a video of it on YouTube or Vimeo soon, I'll post when it goes up.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
: Cimarosa's Oboe Concerto; works fantastic. REAL...do able.
I like the Cimarosa, too.

I've heard it said that Mozart disliked the oboe. I did hear John Mack do a great job on it. Doesn't it have some really challenging tonguing?

·
Registered
214 Posts
If OP is interested in recordings, there is a very nice soprano-only CD of Rousseau playing the oboe concerti of Mozart, Haydn, Cimarosa, and Marcello -- with orchestra!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts