Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
Im 20 and ive just started sax (well, not true, been playing since Christmas...) Started on a Bundy 2 Tenor, then bought a Kessler Custom Deluxe Tenor. Got 2 more horns on the way, a '20's Conn Alto and a '31 Buescher True-Tone Bari. Both are fixer uppers, but I enjoy that kind of thing (cheap too!). Anyways just thought id introduce myself, seems like a fun forum!

·
Registered
647 Posts
At 20, if you feel like a late bloomer then you're one.:D
Welcome to SOTW!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,283 Posts
Oh puhleze, 20 is barely a sprig, you ain't even a bud yet, much less a late bloomer. :)

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
I know people that has started instruments at 70. I consider that late blooming. Is it for college or just for fun?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No its just for fun. Played trumpet in middle school (either join band or do extra in-library work, so I joined band, hated it for some reason). Saw a saxophone on TV a while ago and just said "That looks fun, ill get one...". Been loving it ever since!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
When I actually 'bloom' it most certainly will be 'late' as everything I play seems to be! :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Am I blooming yet?

I don't know sometimes if I am a late bloomer or a blooming idiot.
I am almost 80,played in big bands in S.California,belonged to local 47,
and put my horns away to go to school,work and support my family.It seem like the dance bands just collapsed in the early 50's. Although there were a few hotel gigs around ,unless you were one of the few good enough to work the studios ,nowhere enough jobs to have steady income.
Five or six years ago the urge to play again just flooded over me.
Although I will never be as capable as I was in my teens and twenties
the joy of making music without any pressure is just wonderful.
I put together my own bed room recording studio so I get to listen to myself with my own back grounds.In Hawaii there is not a lot going on with
accoustic horns but I find what I can and even play some street music from time to time in Lahaina where the tourists and locals throw some money in my case.The whole purpose though is experiencing the creativity on an instrument I truly love.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Lamar,
You've just become one of my saxophone heroes.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
lamar reeves said:
I don't know sometimes if I am a late bloomer or a blooming idiot.
I am almost 80,played in big bands in S.California,belonged to local 47,
and put my horns away to go to school,work and support my family.It seem like the dance bands just collapsed in the early 50's. Although there were a few hotel gigs around ,unless you were one of the few good enough to work the studios ,nowhere enough jobs to have steady income.
Five or six years ago the urge to play again just flooded over me.
Although I will never be as capable as I was in my teens and twenties
the joy of making music without any pressure is just wonderful.
I put together my own bed room recording studio so I get to listen to myself with my own back grounds.In Hawaii there is not a lot going on with
accoustic horns but I find what I can and even play some street music from time to time in Lahaina where the tourists and locals throw some money in my case.The whole purpose though is experiencing the creativity on an instrument I truly love.
Hey lamar. There's still some guys playing over here on the Big Island.

http://www.olliephonics.com

The leader, Ollie Mitchell, turned 80 this year, too. I'm the fat guy with the alto.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
lamar reeves: Respect to you, sir! I fervently hope that I'll have some of your attitude if I reach your age. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts