Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never heard the guitar and flute version of this before...http://youtu.be/gMrNoJKRrMQ

I've always liked this song, and wonder how many jazzers have ever covered this wonderful tune. Has anyone here attempted a jazz cover/arrangement of this one?

Of course, the lp version is a work of art, with Fripp getting a gourgeous jazz guitar sound, and terrific overdubbed clarinet parts and lovely flute solo. Michael Giles drumming is terrific, also and Lake's vocals too.

http://youtu.be/iJG6AJz-puk

Just imagine having a demo of the complete In the Court of the Crimson King and shopping it around to record labels today...it's great to know there was a time where music "beyond category" would be put out there for all to hear by a major record label!

ps: Love the YT poster's comment that he was conceived to this song!

Shawn

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I agree. This has been a favourite of mine for many years, Ian Macdonald is a brilliant flute player. He was actually trained in the Royal Airforce Music School and was a colleague of my saxophone teacher.
In the Court is such an imaginitive record..Pete Sinfield the lyricist made a major contribution to the atmosphere of the original King Crimson if you hear the before and after versions of some of the songs ( available in King Crimson Collectors series).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
726 Posts
Thank you, I didn´t know this version, it´s a jewell.
I listened the full version for the first time when I was twelve and I couldn´t believe how beautiful was.
KC is a Temple of Music.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This King Crimson lineup was the best
Well, both line ups were great groups with their own chemistry. Haven't listened to as much of the middle period with Wetton, etc. Discipline and Beat are my favorite overall recordings, Levin's and Bruford's talents fit perfectly into the music by the 80s incarnation of the band! Adding Belew just icing on the cake....

Shawn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts