Sax on the Web Forum banner

I said I wasn't gonna buy a baritone, but then....

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Joe Jazz 
#1 ·
I just bought a Cannonball tenor, Cannonball soprano and Cannonball alto in the last few weeks. I said I was NOT gonna buy a baritone, mainly because they are very expensive and I mainly like smooth jazz and never heard a smooth jazz song with a baritone lead. BUT THEN, I see the new Cannonball video featuring THREE BARITONE PLAYERS PLAYING A VERY COOL SMOOTH JAZZ SONG which gets my GAS gurgling again::faceinpalm:

You can check them out here: http://www.youtube.com/user/CannonballVideo

Are there any baritone smooth jazz performers out there?

#8 ·
Ah, perceptions... I would guess producers prefer to play it safe with "smooth" compositions, figuring tenor has the "softer, sultry" sound that is predominant. Another thread mentioned how the tenor just LOOKS sexier, what with the curved, snakelike neck. We have a "pigtail." Also, whenever I play a live gig, everyone expects the honks and rumbles. Unfortunately no one seems to remember the powerful, yet restrained solo on Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side." That would have fit into any smooth jazz chart. And Mulligan would have made it work, too -- he was the horn man on a Manilow CD that had all jazzers (don't sneer - he let them PLAY and there was zero cheese factor - just give it a try). Also with Mulligan - he did an album with accordionist Astor Piazzoli which was light, airy and delicate. Not words usually associated with baris, right? It can and should be done!!!

I remember going to a blues-based jam session and the guitrist called out some Santana -- I had a blast riffing melodic in the upper register and folks kinda tilted their heads (think: border collie) and nodded. It's probably going to take a major vocal star and an untouchable record producer to simply say "I need James Carter (or similar) or we don't do this!" and we might stand a chance.....

I'll let y'all in on a little secret, though -- I found I could be freer melodically playing (gasp) COUNTRY! Guess I might trade in the fedora for a Stetson soon!

#4 ·
I just bought a Cannonball tenor, Cannonball soprano and Cannonball alto in the last few weeks.
must be nice to have that much disposable coinage lying around. I'd be buried in gear.

#7 ·
Yeah, I've been checking out some of his videos on youtube..he was a beast on the baritone. I remember seeing him on a tv show many years ago. After he played a couple of songs on the big baritone, he picked up a tiny curved soprano (the first time I ever saw one) and blew the heck out that also...

#10 ·
Check out the song and album "Dragonfly" by Gerry Mulligan. There's a Grover cameo on the Dragonfly track. This is a very smooth song that I'd like to be able to play at some point. There is also a great rendition on youtube of Mulligan doing "Feelin Good" on Bari. This one I have the score for and can play along the video. 2 of my favs for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.