Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mmk so this is my first post and I browsed a couple of pages before asking this so please dont flame me.

Ok, I've been playing alto sax for around 5 years now and pretty soon this summer I'm going to get a new sax and I am going to get a custom z, i've played on them and they are wonderful. But lately I've been hearing about the Custom Z's WOF are better. My question is this, do they make Silver Plated WOF Z's or just L and UL? Also, how would I go about getting one since I've heard that you can only get them from Japan and seeing how I'm only 16,....I don't think that will happen anytime soon. Also I would like to know what a Gold Plated G Neck is? sorry I'm really sax retarded. Mouthpieces too, I heard someone playing on a Lebaye Stuido 8 Metal and it was simply amazing. Now I'm wondering if i should get one of those in place of a Jody Jazz Classic 7.

Please veteran posters don't get mad at me and thank you very much in advance for the responses

·
Registered
841 Posts
Don't run out and buy something based solely on he-said/she-said information, if could get you a lot of trouble down the road if you sink a lot of money into something and find out it's not what you really wanted (refuring mainly to you question about the mouthpiece). Just because person X or Y plays on these things and likes them/sounds great on them, doesn't mean you will.

As far as mouthpieces go, play a bunch and pick what you like best. A mouthpiece can be a very personal thing, for example I play nothing but large chambered pieces with little baffle, but most of my buddies play on higher baffle pieces with medium chambers, but we all sound great because we're playing mouthpieces that fit our styles/embouchures better then other pieces. Get to different stores and play a bunch, find what makes you sound good, not what makes your friend sound good.

The same can be applied to saxophones, but you've said that you have played a normal 82z and think it's wonderful, so it's up to you if you want to chase after a WOF model, though I hear they are hard to come by. There have been a few posts about them, look around a little more and they'll turn up.

A gold plated Custom G neck is like the other G necks, they are just gold plated instead of lacquered. Some say this changes the tone, some don't. Wether it does or not is up to you!

I don't know about finish options on the WOF's, good luck with your horn search!

-Scott

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,270 Posts
I tried to order a wof alto Z this weekend...I've been told it's a six month wait. Is the wof better? Who knows, but I think the resale value will be better in case I decided I wanted a different horn. Right now, it looks like YAS 82Z buyers are taking a $1000 bath when they go to sell (from my ebay observations)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts