Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and it works great! What gives?

I was gifted a bari without a neck, so I popped my alto neck on it, used some paper to shim the mouthpiece and voila! It sounds great and plays in tune top to bottom with no rough or muffled notes. Have I discovered something amazing? Can I call it the Sax Bum Swap?

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is startling - how much shimming was needed?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,420 Posts
What kind of bari? They all have different-style necks depending on design - like a Martin has a small upper loop so it has a longer neck. Does your bari need a neck with an octave key? Baris that do have the actuator rod on the back of the clamp collar so that wouldn't work with an alto neck anyway. Sounds like you got lucky and the alto neck is close enough for rock and roll.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
This is feasible obviously depending on make/model etc. What we call the neck on a bari is really only the 'last bit' of the 4th cone. The 4 cones being neck, main tube, bow and bell section.
The final or 4th cone on a baritone starts at the first bend where the straight main tube ends. I've seen baritone 'necks' with a smaller inside diameter venturi than an alto. i've extended bari necks in the past to accommodate modern m/p's- by silver soldering around 3/4 of an inch section of junk alto neck in. The tapers have matched and intonation has been excellent-and I'm not talking rock & roll intonation.......!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
Given the huge overall size of the bari body tube, the neck really represents a small portion. Not being a cylindrical body, all makes have different tube geometry. I've seen baris with smaller bore size and/or upper coil that had a very long bari neck. Others with a relatively short neck. Not inconceivable that, in the universe of saxophones, there would be a union at some point where the necks matched.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Given the huge overall size of the bari body tube, the neck really represents a small portion. Not being a cylindrical body, all makes have different tube geometry. I've seen baris with smaller bore size and/or upper coil that had a very long bari neck. Others with a relatively short neck. Not inconceivable that, in the universe of saxophones, there would be a union at some point where the necks matched.
Good post Morry -there does seem to be an infinite number of 'geometrics' where bari's are concerned compared to the other tnr/alto/sop saxes

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of bari? They all have different-style necks depending on design - like a Martin has a small upper loop so it has a longer neck. Does your bari need a neck with an octave key? Baris that do have the actuator rod on the back of the clamp collar so that wouldn't work with an alto neck anyway. Sounds like you got lucky and the alto neck is close enough for rock and roll.
It's a 1970 Conn Low A bari, serial number starts with N. The alto neck is a Conn chu berry and my Conn C-Melody neck also fit but plays flat and the high notes play almost an entire half-step flat. The octave mechanism does trigger the octave lever on the neck too. The diameter of the neck clasp is 25mm, same as the diameter of both the alto and C-mel neck tenons. Like I said I had to shim the end with about 3 layers of paper to get the mouthpiece to fit. But it does work and plays well. My only complaint is that the angle of the alto neck is awkward to play, and I get tired fast blowing at such an awkward angle so I ordered a 25mm chinese bari neck off ebay, crossing my fingers it works out OK because I've had at least as many bad experiences as good ordering from China.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,979 Posts
The diameter of the tenon and the diameter of the mouthpiece end are both really very, very minor specifications in trying to find a neck that matches a horn body.

Listen to this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1d3ACFPGzU

I have found this method to be 100% true and it has yet to fail when I have matched up a non-factory neck to a body.

So, it is certainly conceivable that a baritone neck of a particular model may well have the same natural pitch as an alto neck of another. I recently purchased some vintage factory raw neck tubes from Philip at Secondhandsaxes...and looking at the Baritone neck tube of a Bundy Bari neck, one could easily misidentify it as being an Alto neck tube if not for the pip location...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts