Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my retirement last Spring, I've been practicing two hours (up from one hour) a day and it has finally paid off. My sax is working pretty well (I found a new tech), and I'm getting the hang of reed adjustment. The tone was great last week and I made good money. I'm using a Selmer S80 3* MPC (whatever that is), that gives me both an oboe type sound for ballads and a nice rock/jazz sound for the rest. The jazzers all say that my sound is too classical, but I don't care. I like it and people really respond to it. There is not one in thousand people who knows what a classical sax sound is, so they are just surprised at how beautiful the sax can sound. I turn 72 soon so I figure I've got another 10 years to get this thing down. I might go back a take some more lessons. My goal is to have some professional sax player who I really admire tell me that I'm pretty good, and then I can drop dead.

The economy is booming in my town. Trump gave the Navy a bunch of money and we make Navy ships here. If I had to, I could eek out a living just busking if I didn't mind living like a dog. But now I've got competition whereas I used to have the whole place to myself. So that's what's happening; sorry to bore you with my stories.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,443 Posts
Doc Cheatam

Adolphus Anthony Cheatham, better known as Doc Cheatham (June 13, 1905 – June 2, 1997), was a jazz trumpeter, singer, and bandleader.

After having played in some of the leading jazz groups from the 1920s on, Cheatham enjoyed renewed acclaim in later decades of his career. He himself agreed with the critical assessment that he was probably the only jazz musician to create his best work after the age of 70.

Age is no bar to artistic achievement.

Great to hear about success stories on the street.

Most popular tunes?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,230 Posts
Nice to hear....I still want to be playing at 72 -

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most popular tunes"
Here are a few.

You Were always on my mind (Willie Nelson)
Boney Maroney (old rock tune)
Mobile Blues (a tune I wrote)
You Send Me (Sam Cooke)
Bring It On Home To Me (Sam Cooke)
Let It Be Me
Hello (Richie)
Yesterday
Sounds of Silence
Bye Bye Blackbird
Sweet Georgia Brown
Candle In the Wind
Give Me That Old Time Religion
Five Foot Two

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
- Self deleted. Misread title. -

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,399 Posts
When it all comes together, it is a good thing. But I'm curious about your "Selmer S80 3* mouthpiece." I think that is a typo . . . shouldn't it be "C*?"

About SWEET GEORGIA BROWN . . . I hope you play the verse, too - it is a nice one and adds some change to the tune. DAVE

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave, you are right. S80 C*. No, I don't play the verse on Georgia Brown, just the 32 bar chorus. I'll look for the verse. I just memorized that one. I've got more than 20 tunes that I do from memory. I've found that it's more advantageous to perform mostly without music. My memory is getting better, not worse which is a good thing. I'm not yet on a downward spiral.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,362 Posts
If you dig your tone and can make the sounds you like to make; who cares what the “jazzers” say? You’re playing daily and if you sounded terrible no one would tip you, right?

·
3,572 Posts
That’s awesome to hear! Screw the people who don’t like your sound- you’re playing a lot, liking your sound, others are liking it and supporting it. Sounds like the dream to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
14,399 Posts
I credit my music as being one reason I can still think at my age. I have many tunes in my head and try to play every day, sometimes off old tune lists that I'd compiled for various bands over the years. All memory . . . My wife plays piano (off of chord charts I've provided and a few published books of tunes) and we play music together almost every day. That keeps me sharp.

As far as your equipment, it doesn't matter what you are using. If it all plays and you like it, that's all that counts (as others have said). DAVE

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dave, you are right. S80 C*. No, I don't play the verse on Georgia Brown, just the 32 bar chorus. I'll look for the verse. I just memorized that one. I've got more than 20 tunes that I do from memory. I've found that it's more advantageous to perform mostly without music. My memory is getting better, not worse which is a good thing. I'm not yet on a downward spiral.
This is great! I am an absolute beginner (6 weeks) and my first goal is to go busking and have people give me money for my sax playing. I reckon I will need a set of about 10 songs from memory, so I love hearing about players who have more than that. makes my goal seem achievable. Long way to go yet, but every day a little closer.... :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thank you for posting your songs. I appreciate it.
Have you tried: "Lost that Loving Feeling", I'll be seeing you, Harlem Nocturne?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts