Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I upgraded to a powell sonore with an aurumite head joint. A friend told me not to buy a student flute as a back up but pick up an old Artly Wilkens flute. I played the wilkens this morning after its been sitting for months and man the tone is so thick with overtones and "maturity" vrs my Powell. But the Powell is easy to play and faster so I'm in a bind. I really do like that dark fat tone. I tried switching heads with aurumite on the artly and its a bigger tone but tinny, not a good match. I cant do the artly head in the powell Too big. So anyway, I need to work on chops much more than switching flutes back and forth . I was just surprised at the different.e The powell was 33 hundred and the artley wilkins was 450. Interested in others thoughts who have gone through this. K

·
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did I read that wrong? $3300 for a Sonare? I had no idea they were in that range.
Yes, has a 9K aurumite head which adds some cost. Retail was arounnd5K> It has a big dark tone. Flutes that I have tried that sound better cost 4 to 6 K? But you know how it is. You play it and say this is what I need? (for now)

·
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PMed you, what a kind offer. Love to talk flute. K

1 - 3 of 3 Posts