Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I upgraded to a powell sonore with an aurumite head joint. A friend told me not to buy a student flute as a back up but pick up an old Artly Wilkens flute. I played the wilkens this morning after its been sitting for months and man the tone is so thick with overtones and "maturity" vrs my Powell. But the Powell is easy to play and faster so I'm in a bind. I really do like that dark fat tone. I tried switching heads with aurumite on the artly and its a bigger tone but tinny, not a good match. I cant do the artly head in the powell Too big. So anyway, I need to work on chops much more than switching flutes back and forth . I was just surprised at the different.e The powell was 33 hundred and the artley wilkins was 450. Interested in others thoughts who have gone through this. K

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
Been playing an Artley Wilkins since the 60’s....I have a very nice Pearl that I use for a backup...I’ve tried several other more expensive flutes....still prefer the Artley....

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
... I need to work on chops much more than switching flutes back and forth...
"Versatile" chops are very different to do-the-basics chops.

Flutes can possibly be compared like domestic and racing cars.
The domestic car will do something for you without placing too much demand on your skill. It is predictable so offers security.
By comparison the racing car has so much more to offer but the driver needs more than very basic skill in order to feel secure controlling it and getting the best from it.
I don't think you will find many reasonably-accomplished players playing the Artley.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I got a head from Dana Sheridan a few years ago.
It's so forgiving but flexible that I can't imagine wanting anything else.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
I played a Yamaha 300 series with an EC-head for years, and then about 5 or 6 years ago bought a Muramatsu EX. I find both of them have utility and I play both regularly, as the tonality is very distinct from each.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I upgraded my Demedi 911 3 years ago when I bought a used Yamaha 561 heavy wall with an EC headjoint. It’s a quite early one, I love it. Totally meets my needs and plays great.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did I read that wrong? $3300 for a Sonare? I had no idea they were in that range.
Yes, has a 9K aurumite head which adds some cost. Retail was arounnd5K> It has a big dark tone. Flutes that I have tried that sound better cost 4 to 6 K? But you know how it is. You play it and say this is what I need? (for now)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,807 Posts
I played a Yamaha 300 series with an EC-head for years, and then about 5 or 6 years ago bought a Muramatsu EX. I find both of them have utility and I play both regularly, as the tonality is very distinct from each.
Hello Shmuelyosef, I've sent you a PM .

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Hey Keith. Just play the one you feel at the time and keep working on fundamentals.

I'd have to play and hear both to know what you are talking about but spending time on either flute will not hurt you :) Just keep on playing and having fun!

If you ever want to talk flute I would be glad to link up with you. I'm not Rampal, but I am a flute player and not a "doubler", for whatever that is worth! Haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts