Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my Cannonball to a student who fell in love with the looks and slick action so I needed a backup tenor. I just bought and am waiting for the 880 from someone on this forum. I just hope it has enough bark for RnB. I bought and then resold an 880 years ago when my main horn was a P Maruiet. But now that I"m doing just a Mk 6 maybe the 880 tone will be "big" enough for me. I do remember it as being a fast horn. We'll see. K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Nice get!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
i will be suprized keith if it dosnt become your main axe. my 880 has.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
I But now that I"m doing just a Mk 6 maybe the 880 tone will be "big" enough for me. I do remember it as being a fast horn. We'll see. K
Not a Mark VI by a long shot but older Yanagisawas are about as close to the ergonomics as you can get. I have a T4 that seems "darker" than my Mark VI but it would probably change with a good re-pad with some domed resonators.
As far as being fast, mine has the sluggish stainless springs, but you can muscle it into being a good cheap back-up horn and a lot better horn than any Mauriet I've tried. At least the old Yanagisawas have some character to their sound and are pretty well made.

·
2,960 Posts
i have a t5 (i think) it sounds and feels just like a 6 -great bargin at 700$

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
I sold my Cannonball to a student who fell in love with the looks and slick action so I needed a backup tenor. I just bought and am waiting for the 880 from someone on this forum. I just hope it has enough bark for RnB. I bought and then resold an 880 years ago when my main horn was a P Maruiet. But now that I"m doing just a Mk 6 maybe the 880 tone will be "big" enough for me. I do remember it as being a fast horn. We'll see. K
Keith, give us some feedback once you have played it a bit, would you? Thx.

·
4,544 Posts
Love my T880...despite all my shiny horns, this one actually is my goto horn for bar gigs and R&R, R&B, etc...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trice, here is your feedback. This 880. and RPC is a great combo for rock and rnb.Last three gig "shows" the Mk 6 sat in the case and I blew the snot out of the Yani. For lack of a better term this Yani makes my 6 sound "polite, generic". the Yani is more along the lines of that tone on the Glen Frey tune, I think Ernie Watts did it, Are you gonna go ++++++. anyway, It really is weird to know that all those alt notes are there? Its not hard to do the things I used to fight to do so I have to be careful that every solo doesn't end up on a double high whatever or that I immediatley go into the alt. Have to pace myself. Glad I took the gamble and the previous owner said it was good for RnB. He was right. K

1 - 8 of 8 Posts