Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and daughter were gone back-to-school shopping in Dallas and my son was off staying with some buddies. At about 3:00 a.m. I woke up with killer indigestion. I have this now and then. It feels like I've been jabbed in the gut with a knife. The pain is almost unbearable but only last about 10 minutes or less. If I drink water, it helps it go by faster.

So I got out of bed, went to the kitchen and starting drinking water. I was doubled over in pain when I first noticed the room spin. I knew I was losing it but I was still in a clinched position because of the pain in my gut. Then I went down.

My face hit something. It was probably the kitchen counter. I don't remember anything after that. I came to with a cat trying to curl up next to me on the floor. My face was covered in blood and I was too dizzy and weak to stand. I grabbed a dish towel from the counter and wiped my face and then just laid there wondering what to do.

I finally got up enough strength to stand and starting for the phone and 911. But then I thought about how long it would take for the ambulance to arrive and how I would probably be okay by them. I also thought about trying to call my son. And then I remembered our "extra kid" that is staying with us. He might be home, but he doesn't drive. So no help there. I just decided to go sit on the couch and watch TV for a while. The pain in my gut was gone, but the bleeding knot on my head hurt along with my jaw, teeth, lip, knee (my bad one) and my right index finger appeared to be jammed.

I woke up this morning and I look like I've been beat with an "ugly stick". I still had a lot of things I had to do so I called my brother-in-law with palsy to "drive" me around. I look like a zombies and feel like one too. I'm not sure I'm going to perform tomorrow at church. I might scare the faithful away. [rolleyes]

PS: I know why I passed out. It was a hypoglycemic reaction to something I ate or drank. This was probably the big cold glass of Sunny Delight I had right before bed. Juice is usually okay, but sugary drinks can do this to me. I now realize that Sunny Delight is a sugary drink masquerading as a juice. Ill scratch that from the menu from now on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
You really need to go see your doctor. Serious abdominal pain should never be ignored, even if it goes away.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Scary, but good to know you figured out the cause. I've had trouble with heartburn/indigestion over the years. I've tried a lot of remedies and have found what works the best for me is DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice). Cheap, effective, over the counter, but tastes a little like eating bark dust. Effective after the fact but works best if you ingest some a half hour before foods you know might give you trouble.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
I suffer from bad reflux myself and take protonix daily. I have had horrible burning, but never felt like i was stabbed with a knife and I have never passed out. This could be real serious Enviroguy, don't self diagnose.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You really need to go see your doctor. Serious abdominal pain should never be ignored, even if it goes away.
Really glad to hear that you made it back... but can't agree more with Finnerski... We ought to take care of ourselves more...

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Damn, man!
Listen, the only medical advice you should be listening to on the forum is this - get your @ss to a doctor. One never really knows if that isn't a precursor to something else.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,120 Posts
And watch that blood glucose. Do you meter?

BTW, read your header and started humming "That Old Feeling." It sorta goes with the melody. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
27,773 Posts
.......PS: I know why I passed out. It was a hypoglycemic reaction to something I ate or drank. This was probably the big cold glass of Sunny Delight I had right before bed. Juice is usually okay, but sugary drinks can do this to me. I now realize that Sunny Delight is a sugary drink masquerading as a juice. Ill scratch that from the menu from now on.
Sunny Delight is like flavored pure sugar. It's the sweetest crap on the market. FYI WalMart has their brand of apple juice with no sugar added that is plenty sweet, I found out. Matter of fact, it's surprising how sweet it is, economical too.

Glad you know the problem. I first thought, "heart attack."

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...i was playing in an amateur band coupla weeks ago...I was really pissed off because they had me playing 4th trumpet...so when the first solo came up it had this written dizzy lick...I took it up an octave....it was really loud and sounded great!!! i remember the 1st trombone player making a gesture how crazy I am....then i had no idea where I was...IT FELT GREAT!!! but I truly had no idea I was playing a solo anymore,and truly mastered the use of space as my body started spasming unvoluntarily!!!! i think i came back around to playthe last 4 bars of the solo...... ahhhh the simple joys of playing the trumpet..... I always find it amazing...especially with this extreme example ,that nobody notices!!!!!

....well when the gig came around the next week...I decided to try it again!!!! and the same thing happened!!!!!!!!!!!! and the funniest thing is as i left this planet,my mind told me HEY,YOU'VE REHEARSED THIS>>>AND YOUR PLAYING A SOLO RIGHT NOW!!!!!!! so even though i couldnt quite grasp the concept of keys,tonalities...etc... i kept blowing higher and louder till i regained my senses..... can't wait to see the video!!!!

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
Definitely see a doctor ASAP. This isn't something to play home MD with.I'm serious.

My friend, I want you to live to see the day you get that damned horn back from you know who!:bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,305 Posts
That's not what I would call 'indigestion'.
I've been diagnosed with 'chronic stress induced gastritis'. It's pretty darned uncomfortable at times but I've never had pain that would come close to feeling like a knife jabbed in my gut.
Get your butt to the doc and have that belly checked out THOROUGHLY.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Wow! I'm hoping the reason you haven't reposted to the thread is that you're in an emergency room or urgent care. This may be a serious thing going on with your body and passing it off as nothing just isn't wise. I assume you've got your home church praying for you and I'll join them. Also--there's nothing wrong with taking the week off.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
My friend, I want you to live to see the day you get that damned horn back from you know who!:bluewink:
Hey Mike- only vampires live forever....

(But seriously- such an incident is not something to blow off even if you have a hypothetic ready to hand- take care of yourself.)

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I suffer from bad reflux myself and take protonix daily. I have had horrible burning, but never felt like i was stabbed with a knife and I have never passed out. This could be real serious Enviroguy, don't self diagnose.
I also get bad reflux reactions and I agree. I agree with the other comment from jazzbluecat too mentioning that a heart attack can feel a bit like really really bad "heartburn". Enviroguy, please go and see your doctor, for the sake of your wife and kids. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,483 Posts
of course there is no advise here other than go to see the doctor and do this immediately.

A lot of people for different reasons are reluctant to go to see the doctors. I wish more people would do this on a regular base. It is not a matter of being an hypochondriac it is just a matter of being cautious.

After the first three years a new car in the Netherlands is required a yearly, mandatory, check up to make sure that the minimum safety requirements are met.

Our health insurances require us to see a dentist at least once (used to be twice) a year in order to prevent serious teeth damage (and cost), if you don't do that your teeth insurance can be invalidated.

With the same rationale anybody above 40 (but even 30 these days with the kind of life that most of us have) should go AT LEAST once a year for a basic check up and general blood tests. We cannot possibly require this from our cars and not from our people!

Early detection of a number of illnesses is a must in a modern society. 50% of the people with diabetes type II (which I and other people here on SOTW have) don't know they have it. The condition might result in kidney damage, Eyesight loss , limbs amputations and may more other unpleasant things.

Go REGULARLY to see your GP, when you are above 40 you have an increased chance to be seriously ill, early detection can and will save your life.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
318 Posts
There are many conditions which could lead to "syncope" or passing out. Some which are less serious. Others, LIFE THREATENING. Do not disregard these symptoms, specially if associated with pain and leading to injury (which are red flags). Keep in mind that the pain associated with heart disease might present itself as "indigestion". My best recommendations is to have it checked out today. Go to the ER so you can be worked out appropiately.
Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
11,597 Posts
A friend passed out like this at our house on two separate occasions in the past because of some hypoglycaemic reaction. Whichever the reason, there is no doubt that this must be scary for the person passing out but it is also scary for the people that care for you. Please go see a doctor ASAP.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts