Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13-year-old daughter has been playing the flute for three years and begged me for a piccolo for her 14th birthday. I bought a used Yamaha YPC 30 for $249 at Sam Ash last night and have 30 days to return it for a full refund. Did I make a wise purchase?

They also have a used Gemeinhardt student flute for $499. It has a black plastic body but I don't know the model number.

I went with the Yamaha because of the brand and price, but since I am not a musician, I have no idea if I made a good choice. I see that Yahama has a YPC 32 piccolo that is widely available (the YPC30 has been discontinued) and am hoping there isn't much of a difference bt the 32 and 30 for my purposes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,305 Posts
My limited knowledge is that the YPC30 is the all metal piccolo. Yamaha moved to the YPC-32 (Black Resin) and have been there for many, many years. Yamaha makes really good piccolos - the 32 is the student standard (as far as I'm concerned). I think you also got a fair price so long as Sam Ash is backing the instrument. One recently sold on E-bay for $250 so your in good shape money wise.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
That's fine. It's a student model. There really isn't much difference.

When you plunk out $2K or more on a piccolo I'd consider all the brands and stuff and whether to go wood or silver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your input. I'll keep the ypc 30 and save myself the angst of shopping for a better deal and/or better piccolo. I appreciate your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts