Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Placed my order today: Julius Keilwerth soprano saxophone, model JK1300-5C-0. :cool:

Now the waiting starts. 4 to 6 months they say. :sad2:

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,026 Posts
Glad to hear it, though I didn't even realize that they sold it in the clear nickel finish.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to hear it, though I didn't even realize that they sold it in the clear nickel finish.
It's a special order. I had to beg and plead with Al and reason with him that it should be easy..just take a black nickel, and leave out the anodization. It will match my alto which I purchased summer of 1999. :cool:

Maybe if yours isn't too far along, you can update your order if you want one too?

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,026 Posts
Maybe if yours isn't too far along, you can update your order if you want one too?
Thanks, but I actually prefer plain old lacquered brass. I'm boring that way.

Also, I would say that it will match my tenor which I purchased in '97 (105,xxx), but I have played the heck out of it and it's missing at least 20% of the original lacquer. So hopefully it will take a while for the finish of the new soprano to match.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Placed my order today: Julius Keilwerth soprano saxophone, model JK1300-5C-0. :cool:

Now the waiting starts. 4 to 6 months they say. :sad2:
Just got word today that my soprano has arrived in the US and will be shipping to my vendor this week. So that's about a 10 month wait.

And, I won't be able to play it until I get home from this tour....so the waiting continues.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pictures that Al sent me of my horn.

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Buescher 156 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 , Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari
4,947 Posts
I love Keilwerth's black nickel finish. Always have. That said, this horn is beautiful. I'm surprised that they don't offer this as a standard option.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love Keilwerth's black nickel finish. Always have. That said, this horn is beautiful. I'm surprised that they don't offer this as a standard option.
They used to. It's the same finish as my Alto. It's just the black nickel without the anodization. Still a special order, though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
That's a great looking horn. All my horns JK, I love their products.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,737 Posts
They used to. It's the same finish as my Alto. It's just the black nickel without the anodization. Still a special order, though.
So that is nickel plated? Does it look much the same as your nickel silver horn with clear lacquer? I look forward to seeing a family photo of the trio to compare the finishes.

It looks like a discontinuity in the plating at the transition from body to bell. Is that an illusion, or is there something else going on there?

Enjoy your horn!

P.S. Should we be addressing you as Dr. J?

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So that is nickel plated? Does it look much the same as your nickel silver horn with clear lacquer? I look forward to seeing a family photo of the trio to compare the finishes.

It looks like a discontinuity in the plating at the transition from body to bell. Is that an illusion, or is there something else going on there?

Enjoy your horn!

P.S. Should we be addressing you as Dr. J?
I have not even received the horn yet. I'm currently out on tour with the new Blue Man Group Speechless tour. It may be a couple more months until I get back home and can take possession of it.

But there is a pretty big difference between my clear nickel alto (which is the same as this soprano) and the nickel silver tenor I have. The clear nickel looks a lot like silver plate, but not as white...if that makes sense. The nickel silver is more grey than silver-ish and has a slight burnished look to it.

I'll definitely post a full family portrait after I get home. But I'm currently not slated to be home until the second week of December. :(

·
Registered
140 Posts

It looks like a discontinuity in the plating at the transition from body to bell. Is that an illusion, or is there something else going on there?/QUOTE]

That is an optical illusion from the camera - the finish and plating is perfectly even.

thanks,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,737 Posts

That is an optical illusion from the camera - the finish and plating is perfectly even.
Thank you. I did not mean to impune your company's plating. It was a question compelled by my own Borgani Jubilee sop that has a removable bell - just checking to see if there was something new in J-K land.

That is indeed a beautiful horn. It's a great time to be a saxophone player!

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got back from the fall leg of our tour after a 5 day run in Mexico on Monday.

Picked up my new soprano from my dealer today.

Played it for a while before dinner tonight. Plays like a dream, and looks beautiful too. Still waiting on my Lawton mouthpiece from England to see what it really does. But I am very happy. Will post some more pics in the next few days.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts