Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I cut the hole for the pivot screw. I could make a straight hole but look to male a conical hole.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what i was looking for. I had gone to ferees site while at work but didnt finish my search. I'm sure my Sherline will have fun. Thanks for that. Ill order tomorrow.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
These tools are designed to be operated by hand - just a few turns at most. It would be very easy to overdo it using a machine. Or suddenly get a lot of tool "chatter" damage.

BTW if you fit it so that it is slightly tight between pivots, then use a soft punch to tap the key towards the post with a "dolly" behind the post, it will shape your hole to better fit the particular screw, hence less future wear.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Good advice all the way around. It is useful to have a set of reamers with different tapers so you can match most types of screws. Your Sherline could be used to drill a "starter hole", but the reamer should be turned by hand. Occasionally I will chuck the reamer in my bench motor and turn it by hand bringing the key to the reamer instead of the other way around for better control. Once in a while to get the "match" I want between the pivot screw and the hole I chuck the head of the pivot screw in the bench motor and apply some lapping compound to the hole and give it a whirl.

I also turn the toilet paper roll around in the restrooms of shops and restaurants if the paper is coming off the wrong side. OCD/AR is what I suffer from, but it is sometimes useful in the repair trade. :) :) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts