Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally I founded two saxophones for buying.these are same price(around 600USD.good playing condition and not to see any damages.it is will be valuable help if any one can advise for buying to following topics.
Price range (hohner and toneking)
What is the good one for buying
Level of sax. Student? Professional?
Finally if it is ok or not to buy.

I will attach some photos

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
Not familiar with the Hohner but the Keilwerth is a very good horn. $600 seems like a good price. I'd buy it, but play it first and check for dents or other damage, and if it needs a lot of work or not.
Good luck

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thats a tough decision - Firstly, 600$ is a great price for either of the horns, granting they are really in good playable condition. I owned (and still own) several tonekings and hohner presidents. In my oppinion tonekings tend to sell for a little more than comparable hohners, but it very much depends on the finish. Both are professional level saxophones, which doesn`t mean you cant play them as a beginner. The toneking has a high F#, which a 3xxx Serial Hohner has not. Ergonomically i slightly prefer tonekings, sound-wise they on par - powerful horns with lots of dynamics. I love both lines, but if they are more or less the same condition i would probably take the toneking! Just play them and take which ever you like more - you cant go wrong with either one...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,938 Posts
Same seller ? Make a deal and buy both if can you afford option . Play / learn character a few months~year and sell one not preferred.
No loss,best result.:)
Two great unique saxophones.

·
3,536 Posts
Same seller ? Make a deal and buy both if can you afford option . Play / learn character a few months~year and sell one not preferred.
No loss,best result.:)
Two great unique saxophones.
Sorry but that’s terrible advice. ONE EXCELLENT SAXOPHONE is all you need. Selling is a huge PITA. These are both superb instruments. I am more familiar with slightly later vintages but I’m sure these are just as good. I love the angelic wing keyguard of the second one!

·
3,938 Posts
Sorry but that’s terrible advice. ONE EXCELLENT SAXOPHONE is all you need. Selling is a huge PITA. These are both superb instruments. I am more familiar with slightly later vintages but I’m sure these are just as good. I love the angelic wing keyguard of the second one!
I agree they are both excellent instruments. So let’s say for $1200 you can choose one without pressure. Tested as long as you like. I don’t think either one of these units would be a PITA To sell. Especially the Hohner. Yes, I agree that’s a really cool key guard. Where has all the metal artisanship gone?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I agree, selling is painful! You sit around for months while everyone tells you what’s wrong with your horn and then lowballs you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
the Keilwerth is an absolute bargain at a low price. Worth as much as twice that price (so you can overhaul it with confidence if needed).

The Hohner is a great horn too but less valued on the secondhand market.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Its not a requirement, but owning several at the same time is invaluable in evaluating horns. I'm very glad I acquired a bunch, and culled the ones that stood out for me. Selling wasn't an issue for me. I made a little on some, lost a little on some, but the tuition and the eventual horns I kept was more than worth the investment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts