Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. This summer, I am getting a job, and I am a conn player, but I only was able to play a true tone tenor once, and I vaguely remember it, because it was for a short time, and it was classical. I am trying to save my money for a big -bore Conn New Wonder Series I Tenor saxophone, because I like the Phat sound. I do not believe that my money will permit me to buy a Conn this summer whereas they are in the $950 to $2000 range in playable Cond. on ebay, whereas Buescher in the most pristine condition sell for an average of onl $600. I was curious if they were good for hard jazz, smooth jazz, and rock, whereas, I only know about its classical abilities. Please feel free to post your opinions. thankyou!:D

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
ChuBerry47 said:
Okay. This summer, I am getting a job, and I am a conn player, but I only was able to play a true tone tenor once, and I vaguely remember it, because it was for a short time, and it was classical. I am trying to save my money for a big -bore Conn New Wonder Series I Tenor saxophone, because I like the Phat sound. I do not believe that my money will permit me to buy a Conn this summer whereas they are in the $950 to $2000 range in playable Cond. on ebay, whereas Buescher in the most pristine condition sell for an average of onl $600. I was curious if they were good for hard jazz, smooth jazz, and rock, whereas, I only know about its classical abilities. Please feel free to post your opinions. thankyou!:D
Um.. I'm not sure if you're joking here, pal, given our previous conversations. But I'm not going to take a risk where Buescher True Tones are concerned. I reckon they're killer for everything. Someone may correct me, but i believe they are well thought of as a "classical" instrument. For the rest they're one of the best. Alto and tenor are both great IMHO. No front F (on any of them??, not sure there??) but that keeps the riff raff out of it. If you can get a good one for $600 it'll be the best money you ever spend.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
I used and still use a true tone tenor for R/B R/R , just look for one above 198K or so.
I have a new wonder series 1 and 2 and the buescher is a far better built horn with better ergo's and superb intonation
Dave

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
The TT tenor I got to try recently wasn't really set up well enough for me to fairly judge it, but it is rare to hear the sort of rave that follows the TT altos and sopranos in regard to the tenors. And due to the quirks down low, most avoid the TT bari. Funny though... I've played Big B and Aristocrat tenors that were horribly set up and in need of overhauls... but there was still great promise in them. You could just feel it. I didn't get that with the TT tenor, and it just didn't seem to want to gel with the high baffled piece I was using. I've also noticed they sell cheaper than some of their Conn counterparts... which I guess seems to show the preference of the marketplace. Then again... those old Conns are great R&R honkers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I have a Chu that is about as biiiig as they get. You may want to try a Martin Indiana as they are very good players for not too much money. Big bottom end. I think a lot has to do with the model, setup and condition when finding a Buescher. The Big Bs and later (1950s) Aristocrats are good honkers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,226 Posts
I have 2 True Tone tenors -one silverplated and one goldplated- and I used both TTs for jazz playing, rock playing, funk playing. In the mouthpiece department, these are the ones which worked for me: Ria 9*, Vandoren V16 T95, SR Tech Pro. All metal mouthpieces. The V16 T95, even lacking of soul, plays in tune like the others I mention.

If you don't care about front F you could save $200-$300. At this time I'm playing a non-front F alto and it's not an issue, you could overcome easily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts