Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my jazz band, we're playing a song for a festival this saturday called True North. It features me(im lead alto fyi). My teacher says that i can play the intro pretty well, and he says that my solo is pretty good. But he wants me to take certain ideas from the professional recording of the song. http://www.kendormusic.com/mp3/6/61756.mp3 the solo starts about 40% through the song. i really want to learn the notes for about the first 20 seconds of the solo(rhythm i can figure out) and put them in my solo. I think it would make my solo much better. So, i was wondering how I can transcribe the solo or if someone could personally help me, i would really appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Berke

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The file won't open for me but here's what I would do. First of all, you are on the right track trying to do this yourself, it is one of the best things you can do to improve. Take the first 2 or 3 notes or small phrase piece the soloist plays and listen to them a few times until you can sing them using the correct pitches and rhythm. Then find them on a piano or even better right on your sax. Keep trying notes, and notice whether you are too high or too low, and you will zero in on the right notes. Write them down (even just the letter names, just as a memory key) so that you don't forget them as you move forward. Once you have a complete lick or small phrase sorted out, play it a whole bunch with the recording and whole bunch on your own until it comes easy and you don't have to think about what the notes are. THEN move on to the next one. 3 seconds of a solo really learned is much more useful than 3 minutes rushed through and scribbled on paper. Eventually you should take your favourite phrases and learn them in some other keys and vary the rhythm, but for now, just be able to copy the soloist note for note..

Edit: I should also mention that this takes a long time when you are first learning to do it, so expect to spend hours working on this. You're not stupid or slow, that's just how it is for everyone at the beginning, it gets faster and easier.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
In my jazz band, we're playing a song for a festival this saturday called True North. It features me(im lead alto fyi). My teacher says that i can play the intro pretty well, and he says that my solo is pretty good. But he wants me to take certain ideas from the professional recording of the song. http://www.kendormusic.com/mp3/6/61756.mp3 the solo starts about 40% through the song. i really want to learn the notes for about the first 20 seconds of the solo(rhythm i can figure out) and put them in my solo. I think it would make my solo much better. So, i was wondering how I can transcribe the solo or if someone could personally help me, i would really appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Berke
Amazing Slow Downer is a life-saving program. You can get it for your computer or ipod/iphone.

It would help you greatly in this situation.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts