Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellows I need of your help and rich experience to identify mi saxophone.

Im a 3 year old player and I own a non popular used horn that also features a "High G key" maybe you can help me out because I have not find any information about it, Im not shure how good or bad is it. I think is an student model and thats why I want to improve. The only thing that I knowabout it is what I can read in the bell, the LOGO says: Elkhart. Below the logo you can read "300 series" and Distributed by Vincent Bach International Ltd. What do you think? Does anybody here had ever hear about this horns?
Somebody told me that the bell is made out with an alloy of copper and brass, you can verify this because it is heavier than any other alto sax. Thats all I know.

Thank you in advance.
Here are some pictures.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It is a student model. Here's a pretty thorough review from the UK. Unless you want to sell or trade-in right away, that's VERY good advice in the reviewer's last sentence - to get it to a tech and get a proper set up. And following that, I'd be very gentle with it - it sounds rather fragile, as least with regards to the posts. You also might try a better mouthpiece, as the reviewer recommends - say a Selmer S80 C* (cheap and everywhere; nearly everybody has one - don't pay over, say, $50-$60 U.S.) or something similar (Yamaha?) to start with.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/ElkhartSII_alto.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a student model. Here's a pretty thorough review from the UK. Unless you want to sell or trade-in right away, that's VERY good advice in the reviewer's last sentence - to get it to a tech and get a proper set up. And following that, I'd be very gentle with it - it sounds rather fragile, as least with regards to the posts. You also might try a better mouthpiece, as the reviewer recommends - say a Selmer S80 C* (cheap and everywhere; nearly everybody has one - don't pay over, say, $50-$60 U.S.) or something similar (Yamaha?) to start with.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/ElkhartSII_alto.htm
THank you very very much, Now I know what Im playing with. Im defintely upgrading, Im looking for a cannonball saxophone, I've been listening to them in youtube and really like them. what do you think?

Oh and for the record, I already have a S80 C* I've been playing with it about 2 years. Any suggestions for an upgrade?
What do you think about a metal Berg Larsen piece?

Thank you again, you helped me a lot.
=)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Relative to the bell, brass is already an alloy of copper and zinc. It is possible to vary the amount of each metal in the alloy, but it would still be brass. While there is some difference in the densities of the two metals it is not enough to be easily noticed. Perhaps it just has a large amount of metal in it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I use a Selmer for alto and have for about 45 years. I use a S-80 D and a Super Session D which is really gutsy. Expensive so try before you buy. A Meyer 6M is a good choice too.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Im looking for a cannonball saxophone, I've been listening to them in youtube and really like them. what do you think?=)
Don't go by what you hear from any other player or from any given horn on Youtube or from any recording. There are too many variables involved to know/judge exactly what it is that you are hearing that you like. Horn? Setup? Mouthpiece? Player? Microphone(s)? Audio mix? Etc. Take your mouthpiece and a couple good reeds and go play some horns and go by what you hear from YOU playing each given horn. Otherwise, you may be just chasing your tail and throwing a lot of money down a rathole. You might find a used horn in a pawn shop that knocks your sox off for $300 - $500. Or hit a music store/dealer and play a Cannonball vs. any & all other brands carried. Don't rush this upgrade purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Don't go by what you hear from any other player or from any given horn on Youtube or from any recording. There are too many variables involved to know/judge exactly what it is that you are hearing that you like. Horn? Setup? Mouthpiece? Player? Microphone(s)? Audio mix? Etc. Take your mouthpiece and a couple good reeds and go play some horns and go by what you hear from YOU playing each given horn. Otherwise, you may be just chasing your tail and throwing a lot of money down a rathole. You might find a used horn in a pawn shop that knocks your sox off for $300 - $500. Or hit a music store/dealer and play a Cannonball vs. any & all other brands carried. Don't rush this upgrade purchase.
Oh boy, I wrote a long answer but did a "wrong-click" mistake and lost it, what a shame I invested like 45 minutes writing =S
Im a little angry right now so, I will summary my threat.
Thank you so much for your help, experience and advise. Im from Mexico and there aren't many sax players around, no pro techs, no pawn shops, worse still, no woodwind instrument dealers, so I can't go and grab pro horns to play them like you guys, you are fortunate to have all of that . I just wanted to let you know that your help is greatly appreciated and needed.
Briefing....I have the opportunity to buy a YAS 61, its in good shape, no dents and new pads, lacquer 60%. I played it and it sounds great and warm, also it plays effortless in the whole register. It was very hard for me to play my asian student model again. It was like taking a chance to drive a ferrari and then trying to enjoy a ride in a old nissan. The guy is asking about 1,350 USD for it and includes a ROVNER ligature, Vandoren Reeds (light green ones), a no brand mouthpiece, an original yamaha case, cleaning cloth and a neckstrap (not sure of this one). Its a very good horn and option from my point of view, Im almost buying it, buuut!!!
There is this other guy selling a almost new YAS 62, lacquer 100%, no dents, etc. He's asking about 1,550 USD and includes just the basic stuff (no ligature nor reeds) I might have the chance to play it this friday (04/01/2011). Im waiting to see if I find a difference, but, please let me know:
*What you think about the prices?
*What do you think abouth this horns?
*In your own humble opinion, What you think is better, the YAS 61 or 62?
*Knowing my situation, Do you think its a good choice to get one of these two horns right away?

My bottom line is, I dont have to much time to decide since these to guys are selling the horns in the mexican ebay, the owner of the YAS 61 gave me a week to take the decision, the YAS 62 is up in the site. So time is running and I have to make a move, your help is greatly enormously appreciated!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
I think $1350 is too much for a Yas-61 with 60% lacquer. Even if you don't care, the market does. 60% is actually really rough shape.

looks like they go for around a thousand or under with good cosmetics. I would think half of what he's asking is more appropriate.

That YAS-62 is not priced too badly as they go for over $1200 bucks on Ebay, and many consider this place a lot safer (which makes people value things more as it's less of a risk)

*In your own humble opinion, What you think is better, the YAS 61 or 62?
Why, are you thinking of buying me a birthday present? you missed me last year, ya know....

Seriously, no one can tell you what horn you'll find to be better. My experience with horns and this site tells me that you cannot internalize other's subjective assessments. The relationship between player and hardware is just too personal. we can only reliably make comments about market value, which is entirely different from playability and personal interpretation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts