Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up this clarinet lately - i have a hard time trying to tell clarinet models apart but it plays wonderfully. it says made in france (faintly, and all the logos and numbers on it are hard to make out). and where i find the serial number it APPEARS to be "9054" and followed by what looks to be a letter - a B, D or maybe an E. this made me think it may be an e11 but the serial number appearing to be only four numbers seems unlikely. i will attach some pics -any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that makes sense. do you know of any resources where i can find it's age? it's a superb clarinet, and i never knew there was more than one maker named buffet and i guess both made in france, at least certain models...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm mainly looking to date it more than anything else. i see lots of information about bore sizes and all that in a few places but i can't seem to find a simple resource to just find out how old it is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,206 Posts
As often happens there are no records from companies which have shut down and have disappeared long ago.

“..Denis Buffet-Auger, of the Buffet family of French musical instrument makers, began making quality clarinets in Paris, France in 1825. The company expanded under Jean-Louis Buffet and his wife Zoé Crampon and became known as Buffet Crampon. (Another family member, Auguste Buffet jeune, who worked with famous clarinetist Hyacinthe Klosé to develop the Boehm system for clarinet, had his own business separate from Buffet Crampon.)..."

Dating it will only be possible as a rough estimation and very likely this was made by another company AFTER the death of Auguste Buffet

this one here appears (according to the author) to be a Couesnon stencil (they were a huge company and made plenty of stencils) , stenciling was always done and if anything was even more common before than it is now.

This was a thread on an Auguste Buffet saxophone obviously stencilled by DOLNET (they made tons of clarinets too and there is NO registry of their serial number!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I can't answer the question, but the clarinet has some features normally found on quite old clarinets:

1. the throat A and Ab keys share a single post.
2. the left-hand pinky lever keys share a post.

I have a clarinet with these features that was built in the 1930s. Yours might be earlier or later than that, but I guess probably not later than the 1950s

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
3,218 Posts
Most important is that you like it. You say it’s superb. So much for the theory that wooden clarinets get “blown out.”

·
Registered
51 Posts
I dont understand the blown out theory either, both of my clarinets are from the early 1950s and both play great. The Buffet plays as good as anything I have ever tried, with my limited skills it performs traditional jazz just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts